cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Adjusting to Oxygen Therapy

It's really funny when you think back on all of the things you take for granted. Like running that extra errand on your way home from somewhere or grabbing your keys and hopping in the car. 

Having oxygen on the go is a whole other thing! You have to make sure your portables are full. You have to give yourself time to switch from concentrator to portable. You have to make sure the tank doesn't flop over in the car while you're driving and you definitely have to keep a close watch on time! I didn't realize I spent that much time picking up a few things at the store. No window shopping! Grab what you need and go! You don't want to get stuck 30 minutes away from home with no oxygen.

Then there's the funny things like getting the tubing wrapped around the furniture and doing pretzels to unhook it. Or sitting on your tube until you realize you can't breathe. Or putting your coat on over your backpack and then realizing that you have to find a way to put your coat on under the backpack. Or getting out of the car and forgetting the backpack until you realize the cord is choking you! LOL!

But it feels good to know that I won't wind up in the ER or Urgent Care today. My sats are steadying out finally. My shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing are improving. I'm finally coming around. I make an effort to exert myself and they drop but do come back up more quickly. And I'm sleeping better.

Then there's the practical stuff. I'm applying for Medical Leave and Short Term Disability. I'm applying for handicapped parking permits. I'm working on getting Pulmonary Rehab covered by insurance. I'm calculating how long it will be until my savings runs out. I have paperwork up to my eyeballs.

So we have a game plan. Get a POC. Get license plates. Get short term disability and accommodation. Get Pulmonary Rehab. Get me back to work ASAP and find a way to make up the gap financially. 

Merry Christmas!

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away! Blessed be the Lord!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I cannot imagine the inconvenience of the O2.  The same thought process as smoking, isn't it?  Make sure you have enough for your trip. Dropping ashes, sitting on the tubing....Always having to think ahead and plan.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  I hope it will be short lived and that the rehab will get you to a point it isn't necessary 24/7.

Take heart, and know that others are pulling for you!

Nancy

elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ You are so amazing...you are seeing the good in all of this.  When I thought I would have to be on oxygen 24/7, I flipped because of my back and my shoulders and I KNEW it would mean that I would be confined to the house.  I just have the concentrator and my sats do stay up for the most part...bending over is hard for me...it pushes my lungs up, I guess.  Walking fast is hard BUT my sats go back up after they drop for a very, very short time.  The tubing drives me crazy, I am always getting wound up in it at night and since I can only sleep well on one side, I have a rather permanent groove on the right side on my face...at least when I get up in the mornings...it lasts a while.  I have my concentrator set up to 4L/min because I really did not feel like 2L was enough.  I think this is much better.

I hope that you can get all of the paperwork done, I believe that if ANYONE can, it would be YOU.

Hugs and prayers,

Ellen

Jennifer-Quit

So sorry Thomas.  Do they think this is a permanent situation?

KMC56

I can't even imagine what you're going through physically and mentally Thomas. You are in my thoughts and prayers at daily mass.

I smoked for 40 years, and the commercial with the woman on the O2 in her home was the kick in the you know what for me to quit.  Not for one minute am I  not thankful for a healthy day, and I know there's NO free lunch for me...I know this bod  is going to pay for my addiction at some time.

..and I'm not going to lie and say that tears just roll down my checks with what your going through, and still have such inspirational strength for others.

Xox ~Kathy

Is it permanent? There's no crystal ball. I can do all of the right things and may or may not get to a place of no Oxygen at all - for now! But sooner or later there will be another episode like this called an exacerbation. That is guaranteed! The picture is more complicated by the fact that I have asthma as well as COPD. This combination is called ACOS and is much harder to predict the course it will take. I have the best Health Care Team and Support System available short of a Respiratory Hospital like National Jewish which is less than 2 hours away. 

I have come to the conclusion that I cannot rely on myself. It's a sort of release from severe pressure - because I have reached the end of my rope. It's in God's hands from here and I have no other option but to trust in Him! Don't we have an amazing Father? He brings us closer to Him in the most mysterious ways! I really, truly mean it when I say "Thy will be done" because it is what it is. My best Birthday/Christmas present ever!

It sounds like a lot of work because it is but we have to adapt to our illnesses and trust. My thoughts and prayers for you.

Sootie

Dear Thomas----You will be in my daily prayers. It is true we have to Let Go and Let God....in all things. May life get easier for you.

0 Kudos
KMC56

Thomas3.20.2010‌  Yes he is an amazing Father,  every day I try to be still, listen especially on Thursdays.  I as well have had curve balls thrown...some I've fought and wouldn't accept...some im still asking what am i to do with this orvthat, but we all know what the conclusion is...in His hands, then other curve balls, I just look up and say it's all Yours...and may not be easier..but more accepting with someone mighter than me to walk it with!   

~Kathy

Daniela2016

Dear Thomas, you are in my thoughts and prayers, may it work out so you can go back to work soon, be healthy for that to happen soon!

Hugs,