cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Akeithmsr

Am I withdrawing or dying??

Help!!! I quit smoking about 60 days ago. Right around that time I started getting awful night sweats!! I have read that night sweats are a withdrawal symptom, but since I'm using a 21mg/day patch I shouldn't be having any withdrawals right?! I hope someone can help me with this!! It's really worrying me and It's happening every night!  I remove my patch at night but the other night I tried leaving it on to see if that would help but I still woke up drenched in sweat.  

I have a dr.'s appointment this week and will have him do some blood work. Other then the night sweats I feel great! Patches have helped immensely with the cravings. I have a dr.'s appointment this week and will have him do some blood work. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd really appreciate it! Thank You!! 

17 Replies
Giulia

Probably not dying!  lol.  Welcome.  Never having used a patch, I can't address the night sweats in that area.  But there are many causes for night sweats: Alcohol consumption, sleep disorders, (apnea, intense dreams e.g.  - I've awakened many times in a lather after a nightmare or action dream)  change of medication, low blood sugar, hormone changes (e.g. if you're a woman and are entering menopause), panic attacks..... Having blood tests and seeing your doc are wise things to do.  Sweating is our body's natural way of releasing toxins (aside from keeping us cool).  You might try hydrating yourself (i.e. drinking several glasses of water during the day) and see if that helps alleviate the symptoms.  I've had night sweats for years and just chalked it up to being a hot blooded Italian!  (Unless my husband had his side of the electric blanket on 5 - then I KNOW I'm bound to sweat. just because of that!)  It's unpleasant, but don't fret about about it unless your blood work-up comes back way out of kilter.  

Two months quit is fantastic!  Stick with it - despite the wet sheets!

first of all, we're all dying.  🙂

I had night sweats for a couple years. It was around 50 as best I can put together. I was still smoking..

Deb-EX

I'm also using the 21mg nicotine patch, and while I often get night sweats due to a variety of reasons, it's good that you're going to the doctor to ease your mind! 

I keep the patch on overnight - no issues. But I do believe your body still rids itself of toxins even if your on the nicotine patch.. It's a question I do wonder about myself. 

60 days is great... congratulations!!

I used the patch but never got night sweats but everyone’s different. 

Congrats on 60 days!

Mortalzeus

I wore the patch 24/7 for about 45 days and had few night sweats, but I had periodic night sweats before I began using the patch too.  I attribute my night sweats to my Hashimoto's Thyroid disease and its effects on my metabolism.  Hopefully your health care professional can help you address your condition.

Congrats on your 60 DOF and thanks for sharing with us. 

Darren

Do you know you are still getting the nicotine equivalent to a pack of cigarettes at 60 days?

How many were you smoking a day the day you had your last cigarette?

I too started with the 21mg patch. I was down to 5 a day the day I quit. I could have used the 7mg had I known what I was doing.

I forgot to put one on my fourth day and got through ok. The next day I felt I needed it.

The second week I forgot two days in a row and put one in my wallet with the promise I would put it on rather than smoke. I carried it in my wallet my first year.

Christine13

I use the patch at night and I haven't had any night sweats.  I'm glad you are seeing your Dr. just to be sure that nothing is going on.

elvan

Welcome to EX and congratulations on 60 days of freedom.  I am really happy for you.  I have had night sweats for YEARS, sometimes they are drenching and other times they are just uncomfortable.  I sleep with a fan next to the bed if I need it...I also have COPD and the fan helps me feel like it's easier for me to breathe.  I am on oxygen at night only but the fan gives me a sense of security that is likely entirely psychological.  

I think seeing the doc and asking about the sweats is a good idea...I see three different docs, a primary care physician, a rheumatologist, and a pulmonologist and none of them are concerned.  

I DO think that the 21 mg patch might be a bit much after 60 days but I did not use NRT's...I have nothing against them but I think lowering the dose is pretty important.

Best,

Ellen

this is the closest thing I found that could answer that, https://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/nicotine-withdrawal_b_937888.html   I never had night sweats while on the patch, but I guess it could happen