cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Recently quit

How can I stop myself from going for a cigarette?. I'm having a really tough time today and chewing gum seems to have made it worse for me.

15 Replies

Drink ice cold water. I also ate a lot of twizzlers 

minihorses

I think that's the biggest stumbling block for all of us. I had and continue to have a struggle with it. My husband spends a lot of time in the garage where he has his work computer, tv, and a multitude of regular garage stuff (tools, etc.). It's kind of his man-cave and it WAS the place I'd go to talk to him after work and weekends.  I know it's my trigger location and if I spend more than a few minutes out there I want to smoke, badly.  Triggers are tricky, literally!  When you get into a state of wanting to go out for a smoke ask yourself if you really feel like standing outside for 10 minutes. If it's cold where you are ask yourself if you really feel like freezing your butt off for 10 minutes. Everyone has their own way to cope with personal smoking triggers but I have a few that might help you:

1) The first thing I did that was the biggest help at the beginning was to print out a calendar that had big enough spaces to write in. I wrote 'Day 1' for the day I quit and continued the same for each day. After each day without smoking I'd write something motivational. Even if it was just 'Good Job', or 'Made It'. When I slipped up one day I wrote 'slipped but will do better tomorrow'.  I then taped it to the door of the garage which was where I smoked most often. I wrote the daily yeah or oops so I would look at it every time I went out there for milk or a drink or something frozen for dinner (we have an old side-by-side fridge out there).

2) get a straw and pretend to smoke it take a few 'drags' of fresh air through. The action of the same hand to mouth motion is there but you get oxygen instead of monoxide and carbon dioxide.

3) sit with a cup of your beverage of choice and hold it with BOTH hands. Tell yourself that can't smoke because you don't have a free hand and if you let go, even with one hand, the drink will fall and create a huge mess.

4) brush your teeth, a LOT. The action of hand to mouth is there but instead of your mouth tasting crappy you get the nice minty flavor.

5) suckers like Dum-Dums could be your best friend. I have to have sugar-free candy so I go to the dollar store for sugar-free butterscotch hard candy. If you have to eat low-sugar or no-sugar foods just be careful as sugar alcohols can be just as bad. 

6) Since it's the holiday season you can always cook/bake!  

The biggest help of all is coming out to Ex! Read, post, cry for help, whatever you need. This site can be a saving grace with all the resources, help, cheerleaders, and loving care. We'll be here for you to get your through!

Julie  42 DOF!!

dwwms

Some excellent suggestions above! I'd add to distract yourself - find something to do that will occupy your mind (and time). Remember a craving doesn't last that long - you can get past it and every time you do makes it easier the next time.

I found that those times I've seriously thought about getting a cigarette, I make myself play out the whole scenario in my mind. From going to the store, buying a pack, needing to get a lighter also or at least ask for matches.  I picture myself pulling one out, putting it in my mouth, lighting it, drawing in the smoke realizing actually how awful it tastes. Then I think about how it will make me feel - first off, lightheaded, then I'll be mad at myself for caving in again. Also realizing that it actually has done nothing for me - it just satisfied that immediate need (which will come again and again...)

Doug

indingrl

Congrats Alexander on staying quit with us! Together is so cool! The elders SUGGESTED srink lots of water and blog BEFORE i take that first puff over ME... eat lots oranges and put cinnamon on my applesauce cinnamon cleans the blood out and have an yellow onion sandwich it cleans out the muscus from all you facial sinuses most excellent for breathing ! Then blog and read blogs. Walking in place right when that FIRST thought hits!  Then blog and educate yourself on your old addict habits by reading all they havenhere from the experts abd at why quit.com too. Then come here and blog... thisnis MY personal favorite using this simple prayer God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change....courage to change the things i cant and the wisdom to know the difference... please take what helps and let go of the rest. Thanks for helping me stay quit no matter what by you sharing wirh me! Gentle hug and blog blog blog! Ty 

minihorses

Ty,

In my house cinnamon is its' own food group! It goes in more than just baking if you learn how, I never measure it either. I didn't know it cleans out the blood too. Woo-Hoo, my whole family must have the cleanest blood in the world!

Julie

maryfreecig

Refocus for as many times as it takes, one day at a time.

You might try webcam or camera with video to record how you are feeling (kinda interview yourself), wait a few hours and watch.

You might also try going to any street down town or near a mall and pick up spent cigs (use gloves). Do this until you are sick of it--the point is, one smoke will never be enough--the spent butts just keep adding up, even though we don't see that in our own smoking (accept when an ashtray got full--then dump and clean--fresh as new? Right? Not!). 

Watch youtube vids of success stories. Also watch vids that explain the addiction. Keep watching.

Zone out on TV, anything that captures your attention.

Work your quit one step at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time. Your addiction impulses will lesson--just stay on your quit.

diamond01

try some kind of craft it helped me alot.

elvan

It is about distraction at the beginning...the best thing you can do is to read everything about nicotine addiction, stay close to the site, read blogs, comment, ask for advice like you just did and pay attention to the advice given.  Remember we have all been where you are...we all had to start at the beginning and then our quits grew one day at a time as long as we allowed them to...as long as we did not fight every crave, we allowed them to come and go (they will go away whether you smoke or not).  No crave ever killed anyone...some last longer than other, some are stronger than others...they ALL go away.  You get stronger, they get weaker.  Plan for things to do instead of smoking and try to figure out what your triggers are...triggers will come whether you smoke or not.  Life is filled with good days and bad days and smoking does not fix anything...it does nothing FOR us but it does lots TO us.  I said the word NOPE, Not One Puff Ever over and over and over again at the beginning of my quit, it was the only way I could hold onto it.  I came here every morning and every night, the people on this site showed me how to be free and the value of being free.  We all want you to succeed...remember that.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

minihorses

I smoked a pack a day for about 35 years. I didn't want to quit, I just knew it had to be done, period. No one in my family, except my mother-in-law smoked, ever, so they didn't understand why I didn't just quit. They didn't understand I was a drug addict, my drug of choice was nicotine! I did everything Ellen said above because it was the same advice she and others in the Ex community gave me.  Trust me, it works!! I was a basket case for the first 3 weeks but I kept doing what they said as well as the things I listed above and I am still smoke free after 43 days of quitting.  Please know you are NOT alone in this! This community will help you more than you may think. Stay close and have faith and you can make it one day at a time. We got your back.

Julie

43 Days Drug (nicotine) Free!