cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

whalenda

I won 8 day's!

Ok I made 8 day's and feel great about my quit.  Difficult the first 3 day's but it has become easier.  My cravings come but go away pretty fast.  I do have a fear coming up this Sunday.  I will be driving with my daughters roommates mom for 5 hours.  She is a chain smoker. Trying to think of way's to keep strong.  I plan on lots of water and bringing my mints along.  Hope that will work for me. If anyone has other ideas please let me know. 

9 Replies

This will be a challenge of many that you WILL conquer. I know it! I have heard people here mention they cut up straws to use. Maybe try that.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... Congrats on 8 days!

YoungAtHeart

Put some Vicks under your nose to negate the smell and to remind you that you have quit.  Distract yourself by counting the red/green/blue cars you see, or the lights you hit or miss, or the # of gas stations.  Take some good music along and sing aloud to it, or use ear buds and hum along!  Ask her to maybe stop to smoke?  It will keep her from chain-smoking, probably.  Dress appropriately so you can leave your window open if she insists on smoking in the car.  Be sure to have plenty of mints/cold water/maybe Fireballs? to occupy your mouth - and maybe some Silly Putty, cut up straws, to occupy your hands?

Remember - there is NEVER a good reason to smoke; there are only excuses!

(btw - you EARNED eight days!)

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

If you are driving you are in control.  Set the ground rules, no smoking inside of the vehicle.  Tell her due to health reasons you can no longer breath the smoke.  Chain smoker or not there has to be times that she realizes that she can not smoke.  Of course use our nicest voice while telling her all of these things and you would be very happy to stop at specific intervals so that she would be able to smoke. Offer her to some  of your mints, candy, gum water etc.    If she is driving, make sure you have a window seat lots of  Vick's rub for the nose and pray.   Believe that you can do it and you will  Congrats on 8 days. of Freedom Keep on keepin on NMW  No Matter What.  NOPE not one puff ever. 

maryfreecig

Awesome, yes you did win 8 days. Way to go!

darnPainter

I think I would, if I could, decline if possible. If she is the driver especially. That sounds like your 10th dof. I know at 23 dof I would look for an alternative plan. Too early in my quit.  If you are the driver you are in control, Period. 

Good luck, John

MarilynH

Congratulations on your splendiferous 8 Days WON and counting! Stick with N.O.P.E. And Vigilance, you can do this on Sunday, believe it. 

0 Kudos
Strudel

Congrats on 8 days! I knew I had to ride with someone who smoked right after my quit.....I decided ahead of time that I had given myself a beautiful gift by quitting and no one was going to mess with that! I continually reminded myself of what Alan Carr says in "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" - that we should feel sorry for people who smoke. They don't "get to smoke" - they "HAVE to smoke." Keep remembering that - please! Congrats again!  

elvan

whalenda  YOU 8 days WON, nicotine ZERO.  I would not want to ride with a chain smoker...my lungs were damaged enough by what I did to them, I am not going to let someone else make them worse.  Please hang on to your quit...try to get the person to understand that you are new to not smoking and that you really need to avoid contact with smoke.  She can handle cutting back on the drive...one way or another, no crave ever killed anyone so she won't die, she might THINK she will...but it won't happen.

Congratulations on taking care of your quit.

Ellen

0 Kudos