cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kellybeth

290 days

I can't believe it has been so long since I last had a cigarette. In a way it feels like it has been years or has it just been a few weeks?? Neither I guess. 290 days. I feel much better. NO pain in my chest no coughing and no more wasted time or money.

My Husband still continues to smoke. He has switched to "lights" but I don't really know if that is better or not. 

My Sister in law was diagnosed with lung cancer. She had  half of her lung removed, it didn't help. She is going to die. She is 80 pounds at 5'8. She can barely eat, walk or carry a conversation with out dozing off. She is under Hospice care now and has been given 6 months to live but we will all be surprised if she makes it till Christmas. She is just a shell of what she once was. She is my Husbands only sibling, his big Sister. She has smoked for most of her life. She is 48 years old. My Husbands father smoked, He died in his late 50's. My Husbands mother smoked, She is now 65 and on oxygen , She can not walk from the couch to the bathroom without being able to breathe. She has had several mini strokes and has COPD. She will most likely die in the next few years.

Yet, my Husband still continues to smoke. That is the power that nicotine has over us. It is so hard to break free from it. But we must. It will kill us. It will devastate our parents and our spouses and our children. My 24 Year old Niece is taking care of her 1 year old son and her dyeing Mother. She is changing both of their diapers. It's terrible to watch this and to look in to her eyes and remember the person that she used to be. I told her how awful this is and she said to me "Well, I did this to myself"

I was meant to come here and share my story of fighting my way out of addiction but my thoughts got away from me. This is the reality of what smoking can and will do to a family. I quit with a smoker in my house. He still smokes in the house and I feel if I can't get him to stop he will be next. If I can quit any of you can quit. It SUCKED and it was hard. I wanted to quit on my quit many times, but I am more important to myself then a cigarette will ever be.

Please take care of yourselves and your families. No one should have to go through this.

Love yourselves,

Kelly XO

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

A very sobering, but helpful, testimony.  We ALL know it, I think, but personal stories bring it home so much better.  I am sorry for all your family has been, and continues, going through.

I am proud of you for valuing YOU above all else to get this done for yourself!

I hope your story might provide the impetus for another to quit before it's too late.

Nancy

Strudel

What a powerful message - thank you for sharing! I am so sorry for all of these family members..... Congrats to you on your beautiful quit!  

Mandolinrain

Thank you, wonderful post and story! 

Makes no diff smoking the lights....same addiction, same damage.

Hope you come around more often, Congrats!

dwwms

Congratulations on maintaining your quit! I'm so sorry your husband hasn't come to the realization that he should quit as well, even watching his sister dying of lung cancer and his mother with COPD. You are so right about the power of the addiction - sadly he may be waiting until it affects his health (when I saw it starting to affect my health was when I finally woke up).

Thanks so much for sharing your story - it is a real inspiration for others!

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you for coming here and delivering your message of freedom when all around you is a prison.  You are very brave.  The journey continues.  If it is okay with you I will like to bookmark this blog and use it for a reference if I need it in the future for those who live with smokers.  Be Bless, You are a winner.  Keep on keepin on. 

elvan

Kellybeth  What a POWERFUL blog, I am SO PROUD of you for keeping your quit, for really understanding that you are taking the best care of yourself that you can.  I am so sorry about the losses you and your husband are going to endure.  It is so sad.  You are coming up on 300 days and then your first year anniversary when you will enter the 6% club and you have done all of this with a smoking spouse.  WOW, do you have any idea what a seriously strong person you are?  This addiction is incredibly powerful, there is little doubt that I will die of a smoking related illness and it makes me so sad to think about the time I will lose with my family.  Please remember that we are here and allow us to help you when you need support.

Best,

Ellen

susan_m

Congratulations on 290 smoke free days!

Jennifer-Quit

That is a very powerful message - and I am sure that it will help someone who is struggling to maintain their quit.  

Congratulations on 290 days - that is your quit and no one can take it away from you!

Thank you so much for sharing.  Indeed a powerful message.  Your sister in law is so young!  That just breaks my heart.