cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Whatever It Takes

The last 2 Months - now going into 3 have been a huge struggle for me. I have been in Urgent Care or Doctor's Offices 12 times. The symptoms have varied from COPD exacerbation to depressive episodes and anxiety attacks to asthma. Just yesterday I was in the ER for albuterol overdose and my Oxygen was dipping into the low 80s - very bad! I haven't worked a full day for a full week. Who wouldn't be anxious, right? 

Friday I sat in my Doctor's office and - again - told him that we have to get to the bottom of this - it is not my normal. That day my Oxygen was at 98% but I had a terrible asthma attack. When I say my normal I mean that yes, I've been sick from time to time - like, twice a Year! But for 2 Months straight? Something has changed! I've had every test you can dream up - blood work, chest X-rays, CT Scans, EKGs, Spirometry Tests, you name it!

So one day it's nerves, one day it's asthma, one day it's Oxygen, every day another not so good surprise!

So my question to you - has anybody been through a period of time like this? Did it ever get better? That's my Fear of course - that this is how it will be from here on out. 

I have a Great Job! They have been beyond patient and understanding, so far! But there's only so much accommodation any Company can and will do for their employee. I know that! I'm running out of time. This needs to be fixed ASAP. And I have nothing but questions - no answers. 

If you have any insights I'd love to hear from you!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
12 Replies
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ I worked in an allergist's office and we had one patient who had recurrent exacerbations of his COPD.  The doctor was getting more and more frustrated and the patient was beside himself, he had to be hospitalized over and over again.  The doctor did something I had never seen done before, he went to the patient's house and he took samples from all of the air vents and all of the areas where the patient spent time.  He found an areas right near the head of the bed and also near a recliner that had some suspicious deposits.  He took samples and we tested the man for his reaction with a very, very diluted sample.  He nearly went into anaphylaxis.  They had to have all of the vents and the furnace/air conditioning in their home professionally cleaned.  The doctor said there was no way that they could do it themselves.  The patient's exacerbations literally stopped.  He still had asthma and COPD but he did not require any emergency treatments.  I don't know how you can find an allergist who would do the sampling but there really may be something that you are not seeing that is setting you off.  I know that you do everything you can to take care of yourself...I also cannot imagine the added stress this is putting on you.  I don't test my oxygen level regularly because the times when I have tested it because I was having some serious issues...it was very, very low.  Now, instead of testing it, I take my deep breaths and exhale through pursed lips BEFORE I check...it is always in the mid 90's then.  Anxiety is a horrible thing, my son suffers with it, terribly, he has been on a number of different medications.  I can only HOPE that his stays under control, he is also a severe asthmatic who smokes.

Saying prayers for you, Thomas.  I know that if anyone deserves to have them answered, it is you.

Love,

Ellen

That is part of our action plan, Ellen - to see an allergist (No other Dr has even suggested this! Amazing!) as well as my Pulmonologist. So you may be right. I do practice environmental hygiene but I live in a townhouse (renter) and don't have the ability to clean the ducts, etc without landlord permission even if I pay for it. I'll let you know what I find out as I go through this process. Thanks for your insights! 

elvan

You made me remember that...I can remember the frustration of that patient and his family and the doctor.  It was a really difficult time for him and that doc was amazing...he wasn't about to give up without a fight.  I so hope this has positive results.

0 Kudos
Sootie

OK---this is going to sound crazy but...even if it doesn't help, it's an inexpensive "try". My husband was having a lot of health issues......he finally also was sent to an allergist. Allergist suggested a teaspoon of LOCAL honey every day. Since he started doing this....he has been completely fine. It has to be LOCAL honey and I don't exactly understand the concept enough to explain it to you......but you can google it. Was is psychological? Who knows? All I know is, it worked! I hope you are soon restored to health my friend and will pray for this to the Almighty.

That's a Great Idea, Sootie. The honey contains a kind of vaccination sampler of the allergens so your body builds resistance to those allergens. I'll definitely find myself some. Honey is very good as an antiinflammatory and coats the bronchials and reduces swelling. Thanks for the prayers - definitely effective medicine!

0 Kudos

So I'm now on 2 liters of Oxygen continuous which as I said all along is just fine with me! Better than watching my O2s drop to the low 80s while my heart rate skyrocketed to 135. Taking some meds and going to bed. It took me an hour and a half to get a Taxi and another hour to get my Oxygen set up. We'll see what Comcast has to say about this adjustment....

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I am praying that you get the answer to your problems solved. 

I'm actually feeling very positive. My Dr. is awesome and really has a caring attitude. he is optimistic that this is short term.

0 Kudos
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ I am really glad that you got some sort of support...I have heard about the honey before, I buy local honey for my husband.and sometimes also buy the comb.  

Do keep us posted, I hope the oxygen is the answer.  I can't imagine Comcast having an issue with that.

0 Kudos