cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Irritability?

I've been smoke free for 57 days and counting, but I have become progressively more irritable, especially lately. I live in NYC, and that is a challenge in itself. 

I've bee working out since August but I've put on weight nevertheless, and this makes me angry. 

What advice would you give someone in my state?

Signed, 

Losing it.

Lewis 

50 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You are in No Mans Land - so your journey is not yet complete (2-4 months quit) ......Check out the weekly Wednesday blog about it - and do a search for blogs about it, as well.  Your irritability is not unknown during this time. 

You may not lose weight by working out - muscle weighs more than fat.  You are getting healthier and more muscular - and what's not to like about THAT??!!!

Hang in there  - it WILL get better!

Nancy

Thanks Nancy.

I will stick it out. 

Can't turn back.

Happy Holidays!

0 Kudos
dwwms

I second what Nancy said - you are in No Mans Land. Doesn't matter whether you're in NYC or on a mountain top somewhere, this part of the journey seems to put you into a funk! It will pass, but it may take a while longer yet.

You should be feeling better working out and remind yourself how much better you feel working out without smoking!

Good Luck - you can do this!

Doug

Deb-EX

Hey Lewis! I'm a Long Islander... NYC is where we go at Christmas time 🙂 

Congratulations on 57 Days smoke free, that's amazing. I myself am 23 days smoke free and while rewarding it doesn't come without it's challenges. Keep pushing through, you will get some really solid advice soon, but in the mean while I would like to say it's December, aren't we ALL a bit irritable at this time of year with or without a cigarette 🙂  

I totally get the irritability about the weight gain, but our bodies are going through major changes right now... weight gain even with exercise seems to be one of the down sides of becoming a non smoker. I have nothing to offer in advice here, but again.. hang in there lots of great idea's will come your way from other people in the group who have been exactly where you are. I can tell you that I can't stop eating myself and I've gained a few pounds over the last 23 days... Even worse is I am getting lots of pimples on my face and THAT is freaking ME out :-)))  I just say to myself.. whelp these are side effects that come with the quit, is it enough to make me go back to smoking? And the answer is NO WAY! 

Please hang in there, don't lose it... take a hot shower, play some music, read!  Just keep your mind busy! It's nice meeting with you and I wish you the best of luck. 

darnPainter

The more I hear about this NML... I'm not there yet at 20 dof. And I think that practicing meditation helps with that as it seems to be a problem with being present. My addictive egoic mind hates to be in the now. I'll know when I get there though. (Maybe when the student is ready the teacher will appear)

Good luck Lewis.   

John

Deb-Ex,

You are absolutely right; these are the holidays and that brings an added amount of stress. If we can make it through this, we can make it through a lot.

Thanks

Lewis 

elvan

There is a blog that was written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that might help /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  I agree that you are in No Man's Land and it can be pretty challenging there.  It simply means that your addiction is making another stand, trying to get you back.  If you are working out, you may gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat but it takes up less space.  I work out, I do not weigh myself, I go by how my clothes fit and if I have an issue, I try to figure out why...and do some different exercises.  Hang in there, nothing is worth smoking over...you have come a long ways.

Ellen

Tammyzhere

I think it's normal to have all kinda feelings.  I used to just stuff whatever I felt behind a big cloud of smoke.  I'm more fussy, fearful, anxious than usual.   Of course I am     I'm not smoking. I'm tasting, smelling, feeling EVERYTHING now.  It's weird.  It's all a huge adjustment.  So far, I haven't went off on anyone - although I have it all preplanned in my head   I am trying to keep it under wraps until after the holidays.  However, after that .... LOOK OUT   

boom.jpg

I feel the same way; I have the confrontation already scripted in my mind, but I haven't gone off either. 

Thanks 

Lewis