cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pholland10

anyone else feel sad that many things they enjoy won't be fun anymore if they can't smoke?

it's been 2 weeks smoke free for me and that's the thought that keeps running thru my mind

Tags (1)
44 Replies
MarilynH

I wondered that too in the first while after quitting because every single thing we did was wrapped around smoking but actually life is 100 % more enjoyable without sneaking off to find a place to smoke in all kinds of weather, I don't have the smokers cough no more and I'm not wasting money on the cancer sticks, keep stacking up your Days WON because it'll take some time to relearn life without the crutch of cigarettes but I think you are going enjoy being smokefree. 

anaussiemom

I love this! I feel beyond sad 2when I say I'm done.   This is a fabulous question, discussion, what have you.   So grateful every day for this site.  Only been a few days on here, exactly what I need. 

Jennifer-Quit

It may seem that way in the beginning - but actually life is more fun by not smoking.  I went to a concert last night and never worried once about not being able to smoke - fun night!

Pholland10

going to a concert was exactly one if the things i was thinking about. I know it will take time, but I can't help thinking this- I loved smoking!

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I think most smokers and exsmokers thought they loved smoking but really we liked getting a dose of nicotine to ward off withdrawal. When I went somewhere I couldn't smoke, the 1st thing I did was light the cigarette that was already in my hand or mouth when I left. When you regain your freedom you will no longer have that need to smoke.

elvan

Congratulations on two weeks.  Things are more enjoyable without smoking because you are really experiencing them without being under the influence of an addictive drug.  It WILL get easier and you WILL get stronger and stronger...you will find out that you can laugh without smoking, you can do anything without smoking that you did with smoking...you won't have to run off to smoke. Your addiction is going to try to trick you into thinking that you have to smoke...you DON'T.  Take this one day at a time and believe that it will get easier...it WILL...you CAN do this!

Pholland10

thank you! 

Differences in happiness between smokers, ex-smokers and never smokers: cross-sectional findings fro... 

"Ex-smokers who have stopped for a year or more are happier than current smokers and similar to never smokers."

https://academic.oup.com/ntr/article-abstract/11/5/553/1025156?redirectedFrom=fulltext 

"Ex-smokers overwhelmingly reported being happier now than when they were smoking. "

http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/152360/1/152360_open%20access.pdf 

" The large majority of exsmokers considered themselves to be happier having stopped smoking." " The fact that the respondents considered themselves to be happier makes it unlikely that they were actually more miserable."

Happiness Poll

I like to deal in Facts. But I will also add that I have become much Happier with Myself since I Quit Smoking. My list of what I like about smoking shrunk down to zero. 

And it didn't take long! I wrote this at 100 days - now, I know that right now to you that might seem like a very long time but ir's only 3 Months and 10 Days: /blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2010/06/28/gifts-for-body-mind-and-spirit 

Sootie

It only seems like that now because you are still in active addiction. I felt the same when I first quit. But, actually, everything is still fun (ACTUALLY----even MORE fun!) after you quit. You think....oh, I won't enjoy a talk on the phone with friends, I won't enjoy a glass of wine, night out at the bar, even a walk in the woods. BUT YOU WILL! Have faith and trust those of us who were where you are now.....YOU WILL. But give it time. Getting over a smoking life and developing a new life takes time.

Stay Strong