cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mandolinrain

Red flags going up

Im am concerned. Seeing people ask for donations of money scare me a bit on here.

Anyne else seeing red flags? Especially this time of year?

I hate to be so cautious, but I have been duped before. Just sayin.....

18 Replies

when you see those, report them as abuse so that they're flagged for the admin

No matter how sincere and heartfelt the plea, this is completely the wrong venue for such a request. Please report it!

elvan

I have struggled with this all day, I am worried that someone may be in serious trouble and while this may not be the right venue to ask for financial help, I would really like to think that we could find a way to offer help in other ways.  Honestly, I cannot get this off my mind.  My heart hurts thinking of someone who is so needy...I am sure that it was not easy to ask for help, if I am our of line, I apologize but, like I said, I cannot get this off my mind.

Ellen

Mandolinrain

It made me nervous because I did give money to someone last year about this time on a site who was very much down on their luck. I felt terrible for them and wanted to help, so I did. Long story short....it was a scam on Facebook  and it was on the news about people doing this.....going to sites, joining, giving a hard luck story and staying around long enough to bait the hook. Then ask for donations.

I am sure there are many honest people who visit sites and truly are down on their luck, but how do you know anymore? I am one to ride on the side of caution and my apology if Iupset you or anyone else but posting this ‘red flag’. I think your a very warm-hearted person and I like to think I am as well. I would give the shirt off my back if someone needed one.

Helping in other ways is a good way to help them perhaps, doing research for them to find ways to help. I pray. Answers and solutions will come.

Meanwhile, I meant no offense to anyone, was just sharing my concern and posted to see if anyone else was feeling that or if I over reacted. I think I will take a break from this site for now. I am sorry ai upset you or anyone else.

xoxoMissy

MarilynH

No, I hope you don't take a break from this site we just got you back, we have alot of scams going on here too ,especially now with Christmas being so close and they're looking for kind hearted people just like us to scam and if they are legit, there's really no way to know for sure so it's best to direct them to a Salvation Army and or a Foodbank, I've helped before and have been burned and really can't chance being scammed, hugs Mandolinrain

Jennifer-Quit

I agree with you Mandolinrain‌ - this is not the place for that.  Her blog was taken down - not sure if she deleted it or if admin did.  I have given money to someone that was going through a difficult time - and never received any confirmation from them that it was received or appreciated.  This day and time people can pretend to be anything they want to be - and we would never know the difference.  Please do not leave us over this.

elvan‌ - I have located this person's facebook profile and she does seem to be legitimate.  She has a gofundme account set up.  I will give you the details by PM if you are interested.  

Mandolinrain

Thanks Jennifer. It makes me feel better that she was being legitimate. But you just never know. I’m not leaving the site. I was just worried I had offended people here I care deeply for and thought I spoke out of line. I was just concerned. I’m here, you can’t be rid of me that easily.

elvan

I would NEVER want you to take a break from the site...this person sounded desperate in a way that frightened me and I wanted to do something to help her.  I have contacted her via direct message and I support anyone who does not feel comfortable giving money to anyone.  That said, Jennifer-Quit‌, after our house burned, there were many donations from people I did not know and there was no way that I could deal with my own grief and sending thank you notes to everyone.  I wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper and I did everything I could to try to thank people...I have given to more than one GoFundMe account and I have never received any acknowledgments from the recipients.  I guess I never felt like that's why I was giving...I think this person needs help and it can be in any form...directing her to resources in her area, offering emotional support, I felt something coming from that blog that frightened me.  Please send me a direct message with her facebook information and the gofundme account.  Thanks.

If I offended anyone with my "bleeding heart", so be it, it wouldn't be the first time and I strongly suspect that it won't be the last.  

Peace,

Ellen

Mandolinrain

I am so glad this particular person was not a scammer. I do feel bad I held out a red flag and caused such a ruckus. I will be praying this person gets the help they need.

elvan‌, your heart is just perfect! Love you, Missy