cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Therapeutic Strategies for COPD Management

Are you letting the tail wag the dog? 

Do you educate yourself on the Treatment Plan that your Doctor and/or Pulmonologist present to you? Do you know enough to ask the right questions and give feedback. Do you insist on options and with your Dr's advice make the decision yourself? Or do you simply follow the Dr's instructions - or not? 

This is your body - your decision. But you can't just make a blind decision. You need to learn about your specific COPD. Each of us is different - some of us are very different! Are you a blue bloater or a pink puffer? How much lung capacity do you have? Which of your several lung illnesses have been diagnosed? Might there be some that you have that are not diagnosed? Are your symptoms being treated or ignored? Have you even asked yourself these questions? 

COPD: The Importance of Stratification and Adherence 

Knowledge is power! It gives you control over what may feel like uncontrollable. Your Dr can't change your lifestyle - You have to do that! It's up to you to watch what you eat, maintain environmental hygiene, exercise - even when you're tired - you may always feel tired but you still have to exercise, and most important protect your Quit! The Dr can't do these things for you! But you can!

Knowledge is POWER and Decision is the greatest Power of all!

Take control of your COPD! 

If you need more information it's right here. If you don't see what you're looking for, please ask! The folks sn this group are smart - they can help you!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies

Thank you for this Thomas3.20.2010‌. I still go for walks no matter how tired I might be. My pulmonologist keeps me informed at each visit of any changes and we discuss what treatments are being used.

Great information as always.

Larry

elvan

Thanks, Thomas. I do pay attention to my pulmonologist, not sure she pays a lot of attention to me.  At my last appointment, she said I did not need to come back for six months.  Last month, her office called and rescheduled from February until April, this is not the first time...I am thinking of moving to a different practice.  One that is farther away but that has coverage and not that makes me feel like I am being constantly rescheduled.  I do ten miles on my stationary bike, five days a week, I also lift weights, and try to eat right.  I think I am doing MY part...I do feel that my COPD is progressing in spite of what I do.  I have to wonder how much of that is related to the fact that I was exposed to that burned house so many times and now my basement is filled from floor to ceiling with stuff...some of it was "rescued" from the old house and it SMELLS.  I cannot go to the basement for more than a couple of minutes because I cannot breathe if I am down there any longer.  I have explained to my husband how toxic the fumes are to me but he either does not understand or cannot process what I am saying.  I am wondering if I should use the nebulizer regularly, presently, I only use it when I am really in trouble and cannot catch my breath.  I am often so short of breath that I have to use my rescue inhaler more and more often.  Just walking from the house to the car takes my breath away.  I can call the pulmonologist but my experience with getting an appointment earlier that when I am scheduled has not been good.  I will do the reading you provided...I have a history of asthma, I now have emphysema and my lung capacity is seriously compromised.  I take care of my environment to the best of my ability, the cats are combed every day, I vacuum and dust mop the main floor.  I do what I can...I am tired all of the time but I do push through that and do whatever I need to do.

Hugs and thanks to you, Thomas.

Ellen