cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

DemonaXL

Do you have to keep smoking to do Changus?

Some people (smokers) are telling me that I have to keep smoking too get the Chanting to work is that correct?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would double check with the prescribing doctor.  But - I searched for the website and here it is:  http://www.chantix.com/about-chantix??source=google&HBX_PK=s_how+to+take++chantix&o=23119569|1663735... Your doctor knows you best, though, so I would use this information as a general guideline until you can get in to see him/her.

I took it for about two weeks before I quit (while smoking my regular amount),  was quit for about a week while still taking it, but then was hospitalized, didn't get any there, and by the time I got home I didn't know how much to take so I just quit taking it.  And - I have been quit now for 5+ years from this beginning.

In the meantime, do all the reading, get your quit kit ready, track when and why you smoke, practice putting each one you smoke off just a little bit.  The better you plan and prepare, the more successful I believe you will be.

Nancy

Tabbiekat

Talking with your doctor about your quit will allow them to assess where you are with your quit and help you make a choice as to the best route to go.  For me personally I decided to quit in September, met with my doctor late September and started Chantix 10/13 with my intended quit date being 10/30. I ended up quitting 10/17 and never increased my Chantix to the 1mg 2x  a day. I have stuck with .5mg 2x a day. I missed a few days at one point and decided to start taking Chantix again before I started smoking again since the urges hit hard when I was making a long drive with my husband who smokes. I miss a dose every once in awhile, but I keep taking it since it is my current clutch. I have hopes to be off Chantix by the end of January.

I did slip on 10/30, but quit again the next day and reset my quit to 10/31.

If you do start Chantix my biggest suggestion would be to take it after a full meal, not a snack and drink lots of water with it.

Also, like Nancy said keep reading and educating yourself, by the time you see your doctor you may have quit and find you don't need any additional aid.

Tabbie

0 Kudos
elvan

Don't underestimate the knowledge of your pharmacist as well.  I don't think you HAVE to keep smoking to use Chantix but I think you CAN.