TomW5.15.17

Impostor Syndrome

Discussion created by TomW5.15.17 on Dec 1, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2017 by Iamkfaz

I’ve been a commercial and multi-family property manager in central Ohio for 37 years.  I’ve survived 3 bad real estate downturns when most others were forced to change careers.  If you were to ask me who the best property manager in this market is, I would unhesitantly say me.  Yet for some reason, whenever I start a new assignment, or I’m making a proposal to get a new assignment, I get this terrible feeling of dread that I will be found out as a fraud.  It’s called Impostor Syndrome.  It never lasts long, but it is extremely stressful, and previously “required” great quantities of cigarettes to help me cope.

Today I had my first major budget presentation for a recent client, and was also pitching for another property he owns.  I finished both in half the time I had figured it would take, and both were successful.  Was driving away, and thought, “I should celebrate this success and take advantage of this bit of unexpected free time”.  The first thing that came to mind was a Starbucks latte, so that’s what I did.

Halfway thru sipping that, I realized that:

1. I never once thought of smoking while stressing out preparing for the meeting.
  2. I actually thought of something other than a cigarette to celebrate.
  3. I actually thought of something other than a cigarette to kill some time.

No whines from me today

Outcomes