cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jaydee731

Is it common once you say no more, there's no more?

Jump to solution

It's kind of a relief, but at the same time it's kind of scary. Since the day I actually decided I was gonna quit. That has been exactly what it was no more cigs...

Yeah I'm suffering the anxiety, the withdraws are there. But thinking about another cig, makes me sick to my stomach. I even get up and walk away when other come and smoke by me!

Had that been the same for anyone else?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elvan

Stay close to the site and remember that we have all been where you are and there are no shortcuts...the only way out is through.  It does get easier.  I certainly felt anxious and shaky but I read blogs, commented, asked for advice, and TOOK it. Seriously, I listened to what people who were successful told me.  I did not want to be around anyone who smoked because I did not want to risk losing my quit, the fact is that our quits have to be protected and nurtured.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

This quit was my only and final quit - but I had a solid reason.  Smoking had caused blockages in my arteries, and the surgeon said if I didn't quit, I would need the surgery again but not be healthy enough for him to do it.  What he DIDN'T say was that there was a possibility I might actually lose a foot or leg from it!  Pretty convincing!

I got a Rx for Chantix, set my quit date (in two weeks) and off I went.  I had a rough couple of days at the beginning....but it wasn't that I wanted a cigarette, it was more that I didn't know how to get past the craves.   I had not yet found this site with all the information, tools and support.  Luckily, my daughter brought me her iPad with Angry Birds locked and loaded, and I spent a good bit of the first week or so playing that nonstop.  I found this site on about my fourth day quit, the book by Allen Carr, the tools, and the support and it made all the difference.

To answer your question - I made up my mind and that was it.  I really didn't ever want another cigarette.  After five  + years, I still have a thought every now and then, "gee, a cigarette would be nice right now."  A shake of my head and that thought is gone.  I know better!

Nancy

Deb-EX

Thanks for sharing Nancy! I am so glad that you were able to QUIT and I hope things have improved for you in your whole overall health as a non smoker 🙂  I am reading Allen Carr's book now and I love it. Congratulations on 5 + years!! Bravo.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Congrats on five plus years yahooooo for you Nancy that is so cool!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Not sure if it is common or not but it is definitely doable - because many folks here have done just that - made up their minds to quit and did just that!   It really is as simple as making up your mind.  Best wishes to you - and keep in touch - lots of good advise and encouragement going on here.

Roller831

Dale, JonesCarpeDiem  ,a wise Elder, once said, "I don't do that anymore."  I took it to heart and still live and breathe that phrase.  I found this site on the day of my quit.  I listened to Alan Carr's book on CD and never turned back.  Similar to Nancy, every once in a while, I think about having a cigarette, but it is a very quick, passing, thought and poof it is gone.  

Roller

Jaydee731

I appreciate you guys alot it's helping me much

elvan

Stay close to the site and remember that we have all been where you are and there are no shortcuts...the only way out is through.  It does get easier.  I certainly felt anxious and shaky but I read blogs, commented, asked for advice, and TOOK it. Seriously, I listened to what people who were successful told me.  I did not want to be around anyone who smoked because I did not want to risk losing my quit, the fact is that our quits have to be protected and nurtured.  

Deb-EX

Couldn't agree more Ellen!!!