cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

whalenda

Bupropion - Anxious

First I would like to introduce myself, I am new to this. My name is Donna and I have a quit date set for this Friday Dec. 1st. I do have a question for those who may have used bupropion.  I started last Friday and I seem to be very anxious and unable to focus.  If you experienced this what helped you if anything and can I expect this to go away after a period of time.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  It is one you will never regret!

I have no experience with Bupropion.  I hope someone who does will chime in.  I do think a call to the doctor who prescribed it might be a good idea.  If it is the cause of your anxiety and inability to concentrate, he/she might be able to prescribe a different aid.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for a free pdf of it on the net (copyright enforcement won't allow me to post the link here).

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX...YoungAtHeart‌ has given you some great advice.  I have been on buproprion for years, not to help me stop smoking but to help with chronic pain.  I tried many other antidepressants because my doctors were insistent.  I do not remember having any issues with anxiety but I do remember that both my son and my husband were prescribed it at different times and neither of them seemed able to tolerate it because they felt very anxious.  I would ask your pharmacist and your doctor, perhaps they could prescribe something to make you feel less anxious.  The pharmacist would certainly know how often this side effect occurs.  No matter what, DO stay with us, read and blog and comment and know that we all want very much for you to be successful. 

Ellen

djmurray

Hi, Donna -- my name is Donna as well.  I've been on Buproprion for the last three years.  I did start it to help me quit, and indeed it did.  Of course, I went through the craves and all the other experiences of quitting, but I was calmer about it.    Youngatheart7.4.12 gave you excellent advice, and all I can say is I will celebrate 3 years of my quit on New Year's Eve.  And that's after smoking heavily for 53 years before that.  This site is a fabulous support system.  It's a different format than we had before, but if you learn to navigate it, you'll find great people, great resources and great support.  We're here!

minihorses

Hi Donna,

Welcome! You found the greatest support network in the world to help you get free of the nicotine monster. I was put on Bupropion years ago for bi-polar disorder and smoking cessation. Its main use is for depression but many find it helps to quit smoking. All medicines have different effects on different people. Pain meds such as Vicodin and Percocet make me hyper!  Treatments for depression and quitting smoking are the same way, it depends on the person. It didn't help me quit it just made cigarettes taste like crap which I ignored. It didn't do much for the depression either. Keep a close eye and write down any side effects you are having. They may subside once your body gets used to it but if not call your doctor and maybe they can change it to a different medicine such as Chantix (my life saver).

In the meantime keep focused on your quest to become an Ex and reach out to people for support. We are all doing this together and you will have the greatest support from everyone here!  We will be holding your hand all the way!

Julie

30 Days Of FREEDOM!!!

0 Kudos
elvan

whalenda  I think the most important thing you can do is to ask the pharmacist and the doctor if those annoying side effects are likely to disappear.  Lots of times antidepressants have strange side effects that are different for different people, I don't know if they are likely to go away.  The decreased desire to smoke is actually a side effect, just happens to be a good one.

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

Hello Donna! I have never taken that but I do know that it takes our bodies some time to adjust to any medication and I would venture to say that your symptoms are probably just that period of adjustment...too soon to tell.

You have found the most 24/7 awesome support group ever!!! I just celebrated 5 years quit because of the help I received from the members on this site. Do the reading, stay close, blog for help as often as you need to and welcome to your new, amazing life on the other side of the 'smokescreen'...who knows all the great things life has in store for you! xo

Sandy-9-17-17

joyeuxencore‌  Congrats on 5 years!  I have a long way to go to get there but can't wait til I say 5 years!  

0 Kudos
Samsgurl2018

Hi Donna, I'm currently on buproprion twice a day. One for smoking cessation and two for antidepressants. I'll start by saying this has made me hate the smell of cigarettes and it's great for me. It took a little bit to get used to it before I could really tell if it worked. At first I was a little dizzy and got headaches but after a couple of months, I wouldn't be happier because it's working for me so far. I've had so many times where I wanted off of this medication but I gave it a little more time and now it works wonders for my anxiety and smoking cessation. I started taking 150mg in the morning because two was too much. I did this for about a month and then once I adjusted, I started taking two. It got to where I could focus more and dislike cigarettes a lot! I would give it time and if you have dizziness, don't freak out. My doctor actually gave me meclizine to offset that side effect. Try to stay with it because it works great and this is one that won't make you gain a bunch of weight or feel sluggish. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. We're all here for you! 

Holly

0 Kudos
whalenda

Thanks everyone, great advise.  I kind of thought I needed to give it more time.  Today I did not notice anything, no anxiety. Hope that continues. I will contact my doctor if it continues but for now all is good. Getting nervous Friday is the beginning of a new life!