cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

indingrl

Looking in the mirror

I was given a gift card with this anonymous love letter...."The Gal in the Glass....When you get what you want in your struggle for self and the world makes you queen for a day, just go to a mirror and look at yourself, and see what THAT gal has to say. For it isn't your husband or family or friend whose judgment upon you must pass; the gal whose verdict counts most in your life is the one staring back from the glass. Some people may think you a straight-shootin' chum and call you a person of place, but the gal in the glass say you're only a bum if you can't look her straight in the face. She's the gal to please, never mind all the rest, for she's with you clear up to the end, and you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test if the gal in the glass is your friend. You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years and get pats on the back as you pass, but your final reward will be heartaches and tears if you've cheated the gal in the glass.".....So in the past I couldn't even go near a mirror....but TODAY...I look in the mirror and see who My Higher Power God loves for only he has brought me this far to say to that gal in the mirror as I look directly into her green eyes and say I love you and only by Gods grace you are able to love ALL others and bring Gods love to the one who suffers from nicotine addiction. So I walk to the library and it is a beautiful day in my area...I got out the love letter and now I share with all my brothers and sisters in recovery from nicotine and ask what was asked of ME...what do YOU see when you look in the mirror? Any new comers to this new freedom from nicotine it was suggested to blog before I take that first puff over me and to always think of others above me. I thank God for the opportunity to help anyone know that all the helpers here have taught me all I know to stay quit no matter what and together we will stay quit no matter what life on life terms hits us with or jumps out at us....the suddenly of life....will happen but oh what a blessing to have a nicotine family I can run to and find comfort and love and suggestions to keep dealing and moving forward to always be a help to someone when I am in the midst of a storm in my life and to be grateful I do have some ONE. Thanks for letting me share my experience strength and hope with all of you .....gentle hug and please take what helps and let go of the rest....to be helpful is my only aim.

9 Replies
elvan

Lovely and so true...the reflection in the mirror is the one that really counts because it is the one that is with you all the time, thanks for sharing this.

XO,

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Only YOU can see the real you in that mirror....and sometimes it's difficult to see!  Most of the time, though, I am happy to look me in the eyes!

Good reminder, too, of our worth!

minihorses

Thank you SO much for posting that! I've been having a difficult 'bi-polar' day and ready to just leave the husband and sons in the dust. I can't remember the last time I actually looked in the mirror for anything but to do my hair because I don't like the gal that's looking at me. I never noticed doing it because it's a defense mechanism of mine. I think me and the lady in the mirror need to have a serious talk and come to an agreement that I must see her and pay attention to her at least once a day because she's worth it (although today I feel like slime in a gutter). I'll start my day with that tomorrow because I'm aware that trying today would be dangerous until this feeling passes. Thanks again!

Julie  29 DOF

indingrl

You are most welcome my beautiful sister in recovery and that is agape love you give yourself and you are so deeply loved by God and all of us here together we stay quit no mater what in Jesus name amen Please take what helps and let go of the rest thank you for help me to remain too

elvan

minihorses‌ Please remember to do just that tomorrow...look at that beautiful woman in the mirror and tell her how incredibly proud of her that you are...you will have 30 beautiful days of freedom.  I am so proud of you, be proud of yourself.  You deserve it.

Ellen

MarilynH

Thank you Diane Joy for posting this, it's so true.

indingrl

You are most welcome 

MarilynH

Huge hug

indingrl

Thanks new day new hug for you 

0 Kudos