cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sweetone14223

Starting medicine again

I took chantex for 3 months. I have quit smoking , but the cravings are starting to come back, and at times they are strong!  I have 2 months left of pills.  Can I start taking the chantex again?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
minihorses

Make your quit plan permanent in your mind. You will get cravings for the rest of your life. Been there, done that, which is why I'm here. I had given in to them eventually. I'm older now and can see that I will have them forever but that's all it is. An old habit that I no longer have the need for. I'm no Dr. but if you have the pills, which means your doctor supplied that many to help you quit, then use them! I'm on Chantix and would do the same if I got bad enough cravings that would put my quit in danger. I'm sure your dr. would rather you take Chantix for a bit longer than have you going back to smoking!

Julie

29 DOF

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

To better answer your question, I would like to know how long you've actually been quit.  In any event, I would check with your doctor.  When you start taking Chantix, there is a certain regimen, and I am not sure what the regimen might look like if you have been off of it for awhile.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for a free pdf of it on the net (copyright enforcement won't allow me to post the link here).

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Sweetone14223

Thank you for your reply!  I am going to start taking them!  You are right!  It’s better to take the medicine than to give into those cravings!  

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, please remember that this is an addiction and not a habit...we all have to work at staying quit, recognizing our triggers and learning to deal with them.  I don't know anything about the chantix...how long have you been OFF it?  You are asking if you should start taking it again.  It is absolutely better than smoking but I would call the doc who prescribed it just to see if he or she has any other suggestions.  My biggest suggestion to you would be to stay close to this site, to blog, to comment, to pay attention to the advice that is offered.  Remember that we have all been where you are, "The only way out is through."  You CAN do this, it is not easy but it is possible and it is a one day at a time journey...one experience at a time...keep going and remember to say NOPE, Not One Puff Ever, I said it over and over and over again when I first quit, it kept me sane.  There are people here who are all different ages at all different stages in their quits and we ALL want you to be successful.

Best to you Sweetone14223‌,

Ellen

0 Kudos