cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Communications

I was on a member's blog tonight and someone responded and I responded to the latter.  And she responded back to me.  The conversation had nothing to do with the original blog.  So in a sense we had usurped that original blog to respond and communicate to each other on a separate topic.  One of things that has been lacking since the move to the Jive platform is the ability to talk to each other on our own pages.  A semi-private communication, that can be viewed by anybody who chooses to go check it out.   This is really a key ingredient that is still missing from the old platformS.  

Rather than continue the conversion for all to see on the blog's creator page (which is totally off topic from the bog),  I have now gone into private message mode.  So no one benefits at large from the continued discussion.  I don't think that's good.  We need a place - some place to go (other than a pm) where we can have a dialogue that others can also see and respond to - if they seek it out.  If they have an interest, or are following another member.  

That member home page feature was and to my mind still is a very important feature that is lacking on this platform in this community.  

Tags (2)
5 Replies
pir8fan

Amen! We lost the ability to stop by and check on each other! That was a HUGE loss!

the only workaround is using a status update and @mention the people you want included.  Those can be viewed by the whole community as long as they are following them (another wonderful catch, but can be easily corrected by simply hitting the follow button on their page).  I'm not very tech savvy but I have seen some members on here creating some streams.  How I have no clue

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I so agree with you and miss it alot it was so so simple without having the mentions without having to wonder if we're following them  I don't bother much with the pm's, the message boards in my opinion were more friendly and family oriented. Giulia 

I agree. Some features are better. Some worse. It's certainly lost the personality of the message board on each persons page. I used to be able to see how people were doing by going to their page. That FUNCTIONALITY is GONE.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Regrettably Jive doesn't support Message Boards/Wall Posts. If they had it, it would certainly be enabled.  There aren't requests from their other customers for something similar, so the likelihood that it could be easily built and supported for the long term is slim. And it's bigger than just designing what you see.  There is logic that goes into how and when notifications are sent. Database considerations and much much more.  Also it would be a huge expense to implement and maintain. If we build something, we want it to be good.

The notification system was horrible on elgg. It required you to continually go back to the message board and check to see if the owner had replied. You wouldn't get a notification if they replied to your post.  Additionally there were the people who posted on their own message boards and were talking with themselves. 

For @mentions, you don't have to follow the person. So long as you haven't turned off notifications about @mentions in your Preferences, you should receive a notification that someone has @mentioned you.  So if you want to check in with someone and have a semi-private conversation you can do so via the Status Update. They'll get notified and the discussion will occur on your profile. It just won't be one long stream.  It will be broken up into specific Status Updates. 

I realize that the wall was nice but it was very far from perfect.  It was hard to see history past the last 5-10 messages. People interacting with you weren't notified when you responded back to their post. There were no @mention capabilities.   Inserting media was a challenge. New members posted on their own message boards looking for help but because it wasn't as visible they didn't always get it unless someone checked out their profile. There was no way to reply by email. 

All communities are faced with people taking things off-topic.  It happened on Elgg as well.  There was no way for me to branch it. I can branch topics now on Jive and can do them at your request. I don't monitor and look at every discussion/blog/question so I don't always know when things go off-topic.  If I see something that is grossly going off-topic I would probably address it but for the most part I am pretty hands-off here. There is a certain amount of self-policing a community should do in terms of making sure that discussions stay on-topic and if it goes off, just take it elsewhere.  And by self-policing, I don't mean dealing with the troublemakers who come periodically and threaten the normal order of things around here.

crazymama_Lori‌ You can create streams in My EX Feed but that is more for following certain types of content or people.  It's more or less grouping content together.

Since we moved we're seeing that new members are more engaged and more likely to create content.  You as established members are seeing that content and it's not getting hidden and un-responded to. We're seeing less spam now. Spam getting posted on profiles and on message boards was a major issue. I cleaned up thousands of message board spam posts and private messages that contained spam as well. (We haven't forgotten about those and as soon as a bug is fixed, hopefully the historical message board posts and private messages will be imported).

Thanks for your ongoing feedback.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos