cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Samsgurl2018

Anyone experience this after quitting?

Tomorrow makes three weeks smoke free! What does suck is I had to go back to my doctor and call in sick at work today. I have bronchitis and lost my voice and the doctor said all of this is common because of my immune system breaking down from quitting smoking which I can easily get infections. Anyone know of good tips or what I could take to boost my immune system? I am taking vitamins and drinking water and herbal tea. I'm at a loss on what else I could do to start feeling normal and healthy again. I really want to feel better and not worry about getting sick a lot. Anyone else experience this after you quit? Seven days of antibiotics ughh! But this won't stop me from being successful at my quit. You guys are all awesome too. I couldn't do this without your support! 

32 Replies
Tra119

Feel better!!! Lots of water is all I can tell you. I havent experienced the bronchitis and hope I don't. Stay strong!!! 

0 Kudos

When I first quit, I had a bit of a cough but it never developed into bronchitis. The cough did go away. Five years after I quit, I was diagnosed with mild COPD after a bout of bronchitis that put me in the emergency room. But that's a whole different story. 

As long as you're seeing a doctor about it, that's good but down the road I'd get tested for COPD just to be safe. It's an easy, non evasive test that can save you problems down the road. 

My hope is that like me, your cough simply goes away. In the meantime, protect that quit!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck 

0 Kudos
elvan

Samsgurl2018  I think one of the best things on the market is EmergenC and I take it at the first sign of an upper respiratory infection.  I take Vitamin C every evening just to help boost my immune system.  I don't think this will become a regular thing for you...you'll snap back and be healthier than ever.  So proud of you for your quittitude!

Samsgurl2018

Thank you, I bought a big bottle of vitamin c. I'm taking this one day at a time. I am starting to feel better and the cravings are getting a little easier. I'm trying the 7mg patch today just to see how I do. I guess I'm feeling more confident. Lol I do get cravings out of the blue but I'm using everyone's suggestions to stay quit. You guys are always great!

Sorry to inform you that it sounds like the wreckto-rhinitisvirus.

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!

Seriously though

Feel Better.

Keep Your Quit

You'll Get Over

All This

Samsgurl2018

Thank you Dale. Lol I still love the fact I'm three weeks smoke free and ready to make this forever! 

MarilynH

Hopefully you'll start to feel better in a day or two once the antibiotics kick in, drink lots of pure juice of your choice and keep stacking up your precious DOF congrats on 3 glorious wks of smoke free living and counting WTG.

Samsgurl2018

Thank you Marilyn, I'm slowly getting better. Three weeks yesterday! I can't wait until I get my immune system stronger and start to work out. I know I won't be back to when I was a non smoker but I'll be much better than I was a few months ago when I couldn't hardly breathe and got sick a lot. So glad I threw these nasty cigarettes out!

0 Kudos
elvan

Samsgurl2018  You are doing great...I have taken Vitamin C for a long time, my doc recommended it because my immune system is really compromised and she said that smokers are always depleted in Vitamin C.  I hope you get better really quickly...I used to work at a university and I handled money and credit cards or ID cards and often times students were sick, sneezing, coughing and then handing me their cards.  I was horrified but I took Emergen C all the time and I used a hand sanitizer  over and over again.  I think handling money is a serious risk to anyone's immune system.

0 Kudos