cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

robsterk

I need help

This is my second real attempt at quiting smoking. I had set my quit for November 1st I was using my left over 14 mg patchs to start (I had maybe 5 left)

and bought a pack of the 7 mg the plan was to go 5 days on the 14 and switch but I've had some relapses with the patchs falling off the worst was the 2nd day when I bought a pack and smoked it before the nights end. I have 1 14 mg left to get me threw tomorrow and then the 7mg.

I'm worried I won't be able to make it once I switch. I have some gum left over I could use with the patchs i tried it once but the gum is awful and made my throat feel funny. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
freeneasy

NRTs helped me I think. I used them as recommended in the directions. You may want to consider getting more 14mg and not just moving down because you are running out. Remember, NRTs are just an aid. 90% + comes from education.using what you have learned and support. Don't be afraid.You can do it. 

Giulia

Welcome A'board!  NRTs are simply an aid, as Jim said.  Looks like you just joined.  Quitting isn't simply a matter of throwing on a patch and gritting one's teeth to get through.  Quitting takes careful planning.  If you think of it like a skill that you learn, you can't just jump into being a great basketball player or pianist in one day.  Nor can can expect to be immediately successful by jumping into quitting.  Well, you CAN, but most people don't last very long without the educational and support backup.  A lot of us who have long-term quits spent a couple of weeks (I spent a month) prior to quitting getting our heads in the right place.  Logic dictates that we can't smoke for half a lifetime and quit in a moment.  

So if you haven't taken any time for study (and really that just means doing the EX plan, reading the blogs and advice in the community,) DO.  It will help you understand the nature of this addiction and give the psychological and preparatory tools necessary for the journey.

If you DO choose to use NRT's, then use them according to their directions.  If you smoke X number of cigarettes a day you're supposed to use a specific mg patch, use it for the full time they recommend and then cut back.  Here's one chart I found on the internet:

pastedImage_1.png

Here's a link to another site for info on it:  How to Use NicoDerm CQ Nicotine Patches | NicoDerm CQ 

If you're going to take a drug for the purpose of helping you quit, then give it - and yourself -  the best chance possible by using it according to it's directions.  A lot of people use the drugs but don't use them correctly, relapse and then blame the drug for its inadequacy.  That's like someone practicing to run a marathon, works their way up to a couple of miles a day in preparation but then sort of slackens off and doesn't do their full preparation and wonders why they couldn't get across the finish line.  Here's a link to the site's Medication info:  Choose Quit Medications | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

The more you know, the stronger your preparation, the more likely will be your success.  We've got your back and are on your team.  Cheers!

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  pastedImage_1.jpg

You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth. The idea is to start at the beginning by making a commitment that no matter what happens or goes on in your life that you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke.  With that philosophy you will have success on this journey. 

No it is not easy but it is doable by using that principle and educating yourself about nicotine addiction.   If you hang around you will see that quitting is doable, because many of us have.  Look forward a new way of life that does not include smoking.  It is all up to you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free.

Quitting smoking requires hard work and determination not to give up.   It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction because education is the key to a successful quit.  

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101 

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started.  The best is yet to come.

Daniela2016

You've been provided so many tools which will help you in your journey to become an ex-smoker; I can feel in your blog your strong attachment to Nicotine, almost desperate attempt to stay connected: patches, gum, fear to run out!

Please believe all of us when we tell you the biggest thing to accomplish is to change your mindset; and I am not seeing it is the easiest thing to do; but if you start reading (the documents provided, then many blogs here) and the more you understand how the addiction works on all of us, no exception, the more chances you get to successfully quit!

Please do the reading, start getting your tool box ready, get your thoughts in the right place (if so many of us here today were able to quit, you certainly can too), set a day and commit to it and to stay clear of tobacco!

You can do it, and we are here to answer questions, share experiences, whatever you need to stick with such a great decision for your health!

MarilynH

Welcome to the site, please do  the  recommended reading above me because it'll strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, stay close to this site and we're all here to try and help you through the rough patches so you can stack up your precious Days WON, believe you will succeed and you will.........

robsterk

Thank you all for the advice it feels good to know there are people that have conquered this, and that know how I feel. I think I will read all this material you've supplied me with

elvan

Welcome to EX, remember that this is a journey, it is not an event.  We are all on this journey one day at a time...even those of us who have some time in.  Addiction is an insidious thing and there is no such thing as "just one" because "they travel in packs."  I lived with the mantra I got from this site...NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  I said it over and over and over again, particularly at the beginning.  I stayed very close to this site, came here first thing in the morning and last thing at the end of the day.  I read blogs, I commented, I blogged, I asked for advice and I LISTENED to those who took the time to offer it.  I can promise you that if you stick with this site and your quit, it WILL get easier.  The beginning is not easy, it is sometimes one MOMENT at a time but no crave ever killed anyone, no one can say the same thing about cigarettes.  I did not use nicotine replacement but Giulia‌'s chart certainly helps to put the dosage into perspective.  Nothing is going to quit FOR you...you have to do the work.  

Again welcome,

Ellen

maryfreecig

Welcome. You've come to the right place for help. Keep coming back, keep talking...and keep putting one foot in front of the other through smobriety.