cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

rrrich7

Hypnosis

Has anyone used hypnosis to quit smoking?  There is a supposed very good hypnotist here in my city.  My former therapist says hypnosis only works about 50% of the time.  Thoughts?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Hi,

50% is probably accurate but for how long is the question? Is there a study?

Most of the people who used it who have come to this site are not quit.

There are some helpful videos regarding this on youtube.

Stop Smoking Forever - Sleep Hypnosis Session - By Thomas Hall - YouTube 

elvan

I tried it but it was in a group setting that was supposed to not just address smoking but also weight loss (not that I really needed that at the time but it was a big fear of mine that I would gain weight) it was also supposed to address stress and just about anything else you could imagine.  I can't remember how long the session lasted but it was just ONE session filled with many people, most of them smokers, some of them dealing with weight issues.  They sold CDs that you were supposed to listen to for the next three weeks...I quit that night, that was what we were told to do.  I did not really feel prepared but I did it anyways and I listened to those CD's until I could not stand the sound of the hypnotist's voice.  I quit listening at three weeks and had an argument with my son and I started smoking again.  I had never gotten rid of my smoking stuff and still had cigarettes and lighters waiting for me.  BIG MISTAKE.  I think one on one hypnosis might be a LOT better, I also have heard that acupuncture can help.  I really think that NOTHING is going to do all of the work for you and it IS work.  One day at a time...do the reading, education and support are vital as is commitment to your quit.  Please stay close to the site...reach out like you just did and know that we all want you to be successful.

Ellen

Giulia

I had one session one-on-one.  Did not work for me.  What eventually worked was coming to a quit site, getting the education about the addiction and having support along the way.  The magic bullet is in your preparation.  The more knowledge, the better prepared, the more likely your success.  You can do this.  This site is filled with successful quitters.  The /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=95cd7fb7-9d26-4d09-b...‌ is a group that have been quit for over a year.  Go to their pages and check out some of their blogs.  Persevere!

"The magic bullet is in your preparation."

I want an applaud button.

KOKO,

M n @

I'm sorry Mike. The applaud button is copyrighted.  😞

My advice - save your money.

Everything you really need is here - Free!

Posamari

Hate to sound negative but everyone l knew who used hypnotism, went back to smoking in short term. I'm with Thomas on this one, save your money and read anything and everything on this site and anyplace else pertaining to quitting. Educating yourself,  gathering as much information as you can, I feel, is the most successful. And it doesn't cost a thing.

Summer-Rain

I have a very close friend that used hypnosis to quit and she has been smoke free for 25+ years now.  I suppose it depends on the person whether it will work or not..................

The journey continues