cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Almost Slipped

I had my first real thought of having a cigarette today. I didn't think I would have a problem when the first one came eventually. It's been a very trying day in the family. A time that used to end up with me going out in the garage for a smoke, get away from it and chill out. Then come back in the house and walk on egg shells the rest of the day to not stir up the brew. I REALLY WANTED to continue that pattern. It was my security blanket as it were. It took everything I had in me to make myself at least postpone that first step. I went and sat down in the living room debating the scenario when the letters N O P E slammed me in the head. I have worked so hard and been throwing up every day for nearly 2 weeks and I was going to have to go through it all again, even if I it was just a few puffs? N.O.P.E. I made a promise to my family and a daily pledge to never again poison myself with tar, nicotine, and whatever other chemicals they use in the process, all rolled in a chemically-coated piece of paper. That one acronym, remembering my commitment, some deep breathing and a quiet sob and I managed to slowly work my way through. I think the first real craving to repeat an old habit is the worst! I pulled through without lighting up!! I'm so glad I did it too. It makes my commitment to being smoke free stronger. It gave me a little hope that the next time I REALLY WANT to smoke I will look back and remember that I made it through the first one and how happy I am that I didn't give in to it or give up my goal. Thanks to all of you here on this wonderful site, this could have gone the other way but it DIDN'T!

6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You learned your lessons well.  I am SO proud of you.  The next time it WILL be easier!

YOU should be proud of you, too!

Nancy

MarilynH

YES, YES, YES, Be proud of yourself, you are doing this quit one precious smoke free day at a time and each day you get through is another Day WON, congrats on awesome ongoing beautiful splendiforous precious quit.....

0 Kudos
elvan

minihorses‌ I am SO HAPPY to hear this, what wonderful news.  NOPE got me through many difficult times and I have passed that acronym along to others because it meant so much to me.  I am sorry you had such a trying time but so proud of you for getting through it.  I used to go outside onto the deck and just take some deep breaths and recenter myself, much like what you did going to the living room.  Keep in mind that every crave you conquer, you get stronger and the craves WILL get weaker.  

So proud of you,

Ellen

0 Kudos
ahhshucks

Yay!!!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

WONDERFUL!!!!  kEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.  nEVER GIVE UP NEVER GIVE IN. 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Congratulations, you handled it like a pro!  And the more similar situations you'll be having to get through, the better it gets! With every event you've conquered, you gain more and more trust in your ability to step away from the addiction, and you gain more and more tools to get over it, to ride the crave. 

You did great!  Keep doing what you are doing, it's working; stick with your decision, practice the deep breathing, step away from the garage, and you will be fine, and better and better each time. 

And these cravings will eventually become more and more spaced out, and less and less intense.  Great job!