cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 11/1/2017

HAPPY NOVEMBER!

We have this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

This week’s topic: Celebrate NML!

I have something to say that might surprise you – I enjoyed No Man’s Land.  Really!  We talk about the “dangers” of NML so much that some people think it’s a scary place, but the truth is, No Man’s Land is something to celebrate!

You’re getting back to your life. Putting the roller coaster behind you. Your quit meter is really adding up, you’re feeling better and looking better. You’ll probably have your first encounter with a doctor or dentist, and you’ll get to tell them you quit – I promise you, their response will make your day! You’ll start to feel a sense of freedom that can actually leave you a bit giddy. You’ll do the math on how much money you’ve saved, how much time you’ve saved, and you’ll start to feel like that smoker you remember was a different person.

Of course those bumps in the road are still there – quitting isn’t over, but you know how to deal with them. Because you took the time to learn and prepare. Most of the other blogs in this NML weekly series are about the bumps – let’s not forget to enjoy the rest of it! NML is an important part of your journey, so celebrate it!

And one day, maybe in month 4, maybe in month 6, maybe even later, you’ll have an Ah-Ha Moment that will make you laugh out loud. Dale and I want to share ours with you.

Dale’s Moment:

No Man’s Land ends when you realize smoking doesn't matter anymore because you haven't thought about it or being a smoker hardly at all. My moment was when I was driving up the familiar route to a jobsite I was on before I quit. I reached for my pack on my truck seat out of habit because I had done so many many times going up that hill. I like to call it "the ghost pack" and, I laughed because right at that moment I knew I was through.

SarahP’s Moment:

Mine was at the Atlanta airport, one of the last airports in the US at which you can smoke. I had an hour between flights, and the gate I arrived at was right next to my departure gate. The only thing separating them was the smoking lounge. I thought “too bad I don’t smoke anymore”. That random old junkie thought startled me so much that I laughed out loud. That was when I knew, truly knew, that smoking was behind me.

My Moment:

I went back to read some of my old blogs because I knew I had a moment but couldn’t quite remember when in NML it happened.  It was 39 days into my quit.  I took this from my old blog post (https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/rollercoaster831/blog/2017/07/31/now-i-get-itnml 😞

I actually had a split second moment of panic followed by laughter!

I had just finished prepping food and getting a lot of things ready for the week.  It was almost 1PM and I was hungry for lunch, but wanted to get all the prep work done first.  After the prep was done, I paused...it hit me...I was getting ready to reward myself and "relax" by having a cigarette before heating up my lunch.  Of course, I did not.  This honestly was a quick moment of thought, but my husband noticed the pause and asked me what was wrong.  

I told him I was having a thought of a cigarette and smiled at him and said there is no way that will happen!  Then I laughed.  After weeks, I had a thought.  This was not a craving at all.  Just a thought.  An old habit because I would do this in the past.  I was going to "reward" myself with a smoke because I got a ton of stuff done.  I was going to "relax".  

NML.  Yep.  I get it now.  I am protecting this quit.  I can laugh at the thought.  I am aware it can happen.  I am grateful it didn't.  I am hopeful and determined it won't.

If you’re out of NML, please share your Moment with us in the comments. If you’re in NML right now, never fear! You will have this moment! You will laugh out loud! You will smile as you say “whoa, I’m out and didn’t even realize it!”

ENJOY the journey! 

(Taken from an old NML Blog Weekly post by SarahP)

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

NML List  (Please let me know if there is anyone who has been missed!)

julesakaGG‌ - last log in 9/14/2017; No Quit Stats

constanceclum

Free2BU

turtlegirl101

TurboRose

tlajbenn

Dani_2017 

Diannnnn

Showiestodin

Sandy-9-17-17

judalb

Fefun

Fee33

gregp136 – GRADUATED!!!

TW517 – GRADUATED!!!

roller831 – GRADUATED!!!

Christophina‌ - GRADUATED!!!

Brianairb2‌ - GRADUATED!!!

bookee6‌ - GRADUATED!!!

Ready2021‌ - GRADUATED!!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Roller831

OK NMLers!  Time to check in!  I know some of you listed above had more DOF than me so check in to let me know you have graduated!  Then come around and support those still in NML!  Let us know how you are doing and share your experience, strength, and hope!

Roller 133 DOF

Sandy-9-17-17

Hello, it's me!  I am here.....I am still smoke free!  Loving every minute of it too!  

Weight has shot up from 128 to 140 as of today, and you know what?????????

I could care less!  Because I will get back down eventually, what's more important is

that I am free of nicotine, 100% FREE! 

Speaking of who might be missing from the list in NML??  Fee33 might be in NML now! 

Roller831

I also gained quite a bit of weight in my first three months and am now taking it back off slowly.  I am down 9 pounds this past month and am motivated to keep going!  All aspects of my life are getting healthier and I also feel great and loving every minute of it!  Great Quititude Sandy-9-17-17‌!  Keep it up!

Sandy-9-17-17

I have already taken steps to start working on it, but I won't be too concerned if it doesn't come off right away!  

I joined a gym with my partner in life!  We are both going to try to get in better shape over the winter!  I actually 

wouldn't mind keeping the weight, but turning it in to muscle instead of the fat that it is!  LOL!  For the first time 

I actually have an I don't care about my weight attitude!  Eating food is better than smoking after all, right?

Right!!!!

Congratulations to all of you still on your journey through NML. It is different for each person. Help each other as much as you can.

To those that have exited NML, a very hearty ATTABOY!!!! You are doing great. 

Just remember that the journey is ongoing.

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry

elvan

I am so glad you decided to continue this blog, the NML blog helped me so much when I was there AND, like you, I also enjoyed NML for the most part.  I was sorry to have it end because I thought that once all of that special support stopped, I might go crazy...I didn't, I kept on going and it kept on getting to be more and more of a routine for me NOT to smoke.

Congratulations to all of you on this amazing journey!

elvan

Make sure Fefun‌ is on the list, he is at 49 days and I did not see his name on the list.  I commented on a blog to him and said to be sure to check in with you.

Ellen

Roller831

Fee33‌ and Fefun‌ have been added.  I appreciate everyone letting me know.  I also know I need time to go through those that haven't checked in for a while to see if they are still in NML!  It is on my TODO list.

Roller831

No time like the present.  Graduate list updated!