cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Meditation

Has anyone done Transcendental meditation as a method to stave off cravings and fight boredom and depression?

Lewis 

5 Replies
stAn3

I don’t know what transcendental meditation is. I do counting meditation every day and deep breathing. I don’t know of anything that works better. 

elvan

I have not done transcendental meditation, I have done mindful meditation and I know there is someone on here who talked about transcendental meditation not long ago but I don't remember who.  I think any kind of meditation is helpful as we go forward on this journey.

Anya

I did Transcendental Meditation as a teenager, and then many different types over the years. There's nothing really special about TM (unless you are following that particular teaching);  it is mantra based, as are many other types of meditation styles. Like elvan, I also do mindfulness meditation. Focusing on the breath is simple and  helpful, because it's always there and you don't need anything special. Focus, be mindful, be accepting and non-judgemental, let go of thoughts, breathe:) It seems perfectly suitable for smoking cessation. Other people find that using an inspirational mantra (a phrase or word that you repeat over and over ) can be also very helpful. 

And I just want to put in a good word for moving your body and exercise to combat cravings, boredom and depression. It changes your chemistry, boosts endorphines and dopamine (= feel good), gets you breathing deeply. A short walk can work miracles. 

There's a great meditation app, called Insight Timer.  Insight Timer - The most popular free meditation app | Insight Timer and it's free! There are many guided meditations, groups and lots of great feedback when you post questions! And there are 115 audio tracks on dealing with addiction.

Wishing you peace and wellness,

Anya

Thank you all. 

I will try the mindful meditation. 

My doctor cleared me for running as well. 

Will start that this weekend 

elvan

smokenomorelpj  Good for YOU, exercise is amazing because it can combine meditation with the release of dopamine from the exercise with a sort of zone like effect.