cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

ray9

Here I Go AGAIN!

Hello Everyone...I'm a Chantix user and quit for 5 months following 3 months on the medication. I started back to smoking due to work stress (I know...no excuse). I'm now back on Chantix and smoke free for 5 days. My doctor has advised me to take the medication for 6-months. Since I'm used to taking Chantix, I'm used to the side effects of the medication. I've found that if I take the medication on a full stomach with a whole glass of water I don't have the major nausea. I'm not a breakfast person, so I usually eat an early lunch and take my first pill of the day then. My 2nd after I eat dinner arount 8pm. I've been able to curb the side effects of the medication better this time (so far). Since I've stopped smoking I'm planning on starting excersise tomorrow morning. I've had a gym membership but quit going when I started smoking again. Plus I wasn't making time during the week to actually go. I've found that during this whole quit thing I need to make for "ME" time. I need to start putting other things on hold a bit and work on myself. Hopefully I'm on the right track this time. I'm planning on taking Chantix the full 6-months and never going back to smoking again. It's so much work to quit...Mentally and physically I feel taxed every day...
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
barb12

hi there. you sound like me. lol. i started chantix in the beginning of the year. at first i went for a month or so then relapses back to my normal habits. then again my last cigaretts was on april 19th. stayed smoke free until last week when i injured my back and was laying around doing nothing, but i guess even before i got hurt i was looking for excuses to buy a pack. regardless im getting back on track started taking chantix twice a day again instead of once and today i was smoke free. faught the craving. im happy i was able to stop myself from a total relapse (at least so far) and im getting back on track. good job for you!! keeep up the good work. its hard i know.
0 Kudos
ray9

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like you're back on track...Keep fighting the fight! I just keep remembering how great I felt after I quit the last time. 5 months without a smoke and I never felt so great...Thats my focus, to get back to that feeling of having power over my thoughts and actions again. I'm done with smoking and it's control over me. I'm back to the gym as of today and feeling more power to fight the fight. Good luck with your fight! Keep me posted on your success...
0 Kudos
barb12

hi char. i did the same thing with chantix. i took it as prescribed (twice a day) for a month and a half or so then i thought i was strong enough to only take one a day... well here i am again. i too slipped. i didnt go into a full blown relapse. i think i smoked two or three for four days or something like that. anyhow im back to taking it twice a day, and by the thrid day, may cravings have improved. so yea i personally did notice a difference, but i also noticed a difference in my mood too. im not to sure what to blame it on. probly a little bit of everything. anyways. good luck! your not alone.
0 Kudos
jules6

Hi This is my 1st time trying Chantix and I also know how it feels to live around cigerettes-I, too have smoked over 30 years Is there anything else you can advise me on how to stay on the right track using this med? I'm only on my 3rd day, but thinking about stoping altogether has got me frantic already! I really hate the control this addiction has on me! Any advise would help-you see,you've gotten further on than I have with this-just the guts you had to try again is to be recognized!
0 Kudos
miriam3

Hi Jules and welcome to our site. What I can advise you to do and it is exactly the same advise I give everyone on Chantix is that you follow the recomended dosage the way it was prescribed. You will read different complaints about the nausea, about the upset stomach, about the weird dreams, but those with a high sucess rate put up with all the "side effects" and didnt self-medicate themselves or changed dosage.
All the side effects are temporary and tolerable. It is worth it you can do it!!!
Good luck to you.
0 Kudos