cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit in Danger

I fear my quit is in danger. My boyfriend and I broke up. Although I know it's for the best and I've known for awhile we weren't right for each other,  I am still going to miss the relationship. I will miss the companionship and someone to do thing with. I practically lived there.  I only came home to work.  I was a mother to his little boy who I would give my life for. I loved him as my own. Now he has lost 2 mothers in his short little life. I am going to miss him horribly.  I'm going over there to collect my things tomorrow. Smoking has crossed my mind a bazillion times. I've lost 17 pounds in a week because I can't eat.  Please help me.

Broken-hearted #782 DOF

96 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I am so sorry.  Breaking up is tough and I am not one to give relationship advise but I do know that smoking is not the answer to any of life's problems.  I gave up a 2 year plus quit once over a lost job - and I regret it to this day.  Will keep you in my prayers.

I lost a 2 year quit before because of another failed relationship. I hope I pull through. Thanks Jen

0 Kudos
MePlus3

I'm sooo sorry! I promise smoking won't solve a thing! I'm a living witness I relapsed during my last breakup and it's been a struggle since and it did not mend my broken heart. Your quit it's something that won't leave you unless you allow it. Thats one thing you have control over forever. Please don't give in. It will get better pinky promise! Maybe after everything is cool you could discuss coparenting with him. ((((Huge hugs)))))

MarilynH

Aaah sweetie, I'm not sure what to say other than I'm very sorry the relationship didn't work out for all three of you but please redirect your thoughts away from relapsing back into the throws of slavery! Deep, slow breaths and continue to treasure your quit and protect it with everything you have in you because you do have complete control over whether you smoke or not and you've come way to far to go backwards and have to start at day one at some point, don't do it Kristen, I'm sending you lots of loving, caring, gentle cyber hugs along with all of the good thoughts and prayers I have for peace of mind and that everything will work out the way they're meant to and you did the right thing by coming here and blogging please stay close xo.

Thank you Marilyn.  Deep down I know it's for the best. I just don't want to believe it and be alone again. I LOVED the feeling a family and being step-mom to that beautiful boy.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Oh, my, Kristen!  My heart is breaking FOR you.  I have been there and done that and I remember well how much it hurts.  I know it's trite, but time WILL heal your pain. 

For now - think about exactly what smoking will do FOR you.......oh, wait, the answer to that is NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA.  Now - think about going back to Day One.  Remember, as clearly as you can, how difficult those first weeks were.

THEN - find your hit of dopamine another way.  Perhaps a brisk walk outside in this wonderful Fall air.  Swing your arms, perhaps think about the reasons this relationship wasn't right for you.Cuss to yourself as you walk to get any anger out (this worked for me!!!) Think AHEAD to when you will feel like company again - and where you might meet some new friends!  Perhaps you can volunteer?  Join the Y for the exercise AND social aspect.

Not yet - but perhaps you can arrange to see the little boy from time to time.  When my husband left me, I went to a therapist to see how best to help my kids.  He said that it didn't matter how often he saw them  - but that he made plans ahead of time and showed up at the appointed date/time (he was not interested in any scheduled visitation).

Get something easy to eat - like yogurt, maybe a milkshake, scrambled eggs, toast, waffles, English muffins?  Even if it's only a few bites -- if you don't take care of you, the next thing you know you will get sick and that will be TWICE as miserable (if that's possible!).

When it happened to me, I could not stop crying.  After a bit, I decided that it was enough, and when I would start to think about it all again, I would say "STOP IT" - out loud if possible and MAKE myself think about something else. 

I will hold you tight in my thoughts,

Nancy

I will see his son from time to time. I work at his school. I will also probably see my now EX because he wil have to come to my office for IEP's meetings for is son. I just don't understand why my relationships fail. I think I'm meant to be single.

0 Kudos
Sootie

kristen-9.7.15

I'm not even sure if this is acceptable to say in 2017----but, being single isn't really a curse!. With all of the dating and mating and hook up sites I wasn't sure if it was still acceptable to decide that you are a person unto yourself and you can survive and thrive as a single wonderful person. If a relationship that is beneficial to your being comes along....OK. But it's not a necessary for a happy full life.

I didn't mean to lecture....but I don't want you spiraling down to a "what's wrong with me" mentality.......NOTHING! You're great....and you are interesting and you are a fantastic person with or without someone. I realize you miss the little boy......but, sounds like you work with lots of kids and can help them with your love and commitment.

And yes----I guess you could say.....I really can't talk because I have been in a relationship for many years. BUT----I have many strong, wonderful, beautiful women in my family and among my friends who are single and quite happy.  They don't want to trade their lives for anything.

Now----pick yourself up---go shopping ---don't smoke (treat yourself to perfume or something) and find all the positive things about YOU!  His loss.

Mortalzeus

Oh Kristen please hang on!  After 3 failed marriages and numerous failed relationships, I can just feel the pain and frustration in your words.  We all know that only time will lessen the pain and smoking will not improve the passing of time.  Although wanting to stop the pain "NOW" is the focus, please glance into the future and see yourself stronger and even more confident having survived this without smoking.  Please don't let anyone or anything take away your quit. 

Huge Hugs and Non Stop Prayers for you!  Let us hold your hand through this Please!

Darren