cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 10/25/2017

We have this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

This week’s topic: Life After NML

The first month of a quit is exciting, but it’s also emotional and exhausting. In No Man’s Land, you learn how to get back to living your life, to find your “new normal,” and fend off the occasional surprise craving. By the time you reach the end of NML, day 130 or so, you’re feeling pretty good! 

What’s next, you might wonder? We always say that quitting is a journey, not an event, so what should you expect once you crest the NML hill and see the road in front of you?

For the rest of your first year, and to an extent your second year, you will need to be prepared for a few more seasonal triggers and life events that may create high stress and emotion. These triggers can be even more surprising because overall you hardly ever think of smoking anymore.

As smokers, we smoked in response to everything, good and bad. It should not surprise us that triggers we have not experienced yet will remind us of smoking. When you first see the autumn leaves fall, the first snow, the spring rains, the first summer bar-b-que, these are seasonal triggers you may not have experienced in your first 130 days.

The emotional triggers include Christmas, Thanksgiving, moving, loss of a job, death of a pet, death of a family member. And let’s not forget the “happy” triggers too – birthdays, New Year’s Eve, vacations. These events can call up both good and bad memories, and lead to old behaviors we thought were behind us.

Here’s the good news. You already know how to deal with this – the same way you dealt with cravings and smoking memories early in your quit. 
It’s no different. You already know what to do – kick it to the curb with NOPE – and as long as NOPE is your immediate and automatic response, whether the surprise hits you at 6-months, 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years, the result will always be the same – a continued smoke-free life.

As Dale says, as long as you use your tools and remember smoking only leads to more smoking, you will be fine.

So here’s to life after NML, and all the amazing smoke-free days to come!                                 

(Taken from an old NML Blog Weekly post by SarahP)

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

NML List  (Please let me know if there is anyone who has been missed!)

roller831

julesakaGG

Christophina

Brianairb2

constanceclum

Free2BU

bookee6

turtlegirl101

TurboRose

tlajbenn

Dani_2017 

Ready2021

Diannnnn

ahhshucks

Showiestodin

Sandy-9-17-17

judalb

gregp136 – GRADUATED!!!

TW517 – GRADUATED!!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Roller831

At 126 DOF, my time in NML is ending.  I honestly had a pretty good time in NML!  I am proud to say I didn't have any serious craves and the passing thoughts I had regarding smoking were more out of habit than anything else.  Those thoughts would happen at times where I used to smoke.  Every time that happened, I would smile because I don't do that anymore!  I am happy to be free and celebrate all the things I can do because I don't smoke!  I don't worry about when I will be able to smoke!  It is an amazing feeling!

Sure, the celebration and questions from others have dropped off because now I am seen as a non-smoker (although I prefer ex-smoker).  I am ok with this because I am still strong in my quit.  

Even though I take this journey one day at a time, my next goal is to make it to the 6% club.  Today, I am confident I can do it.

NML doesn't have to be awful.  I have always said being aware is the most important.  If you are aware of the pitfalls that can happen, you can be ready if and when they occur and stay on course.  I am happy to call myself an almost graduate (since the 130 days is approximate) of NML and proud I am making it through.

Roller 126 DOF

maryfreecig

Happy 126! Keep em coming.

elvan

I hope you will continue to blog about NML, you have been such a warrior, honestly, you are really a gift.

Roller831

Thank you, Ellen.  I am happy to continue doing the weekly NML check in as long as people want it.  I am also happy to pass it along to the nEXt NMLer willing to do the same.  

Roller 127 DOF

Now....where are all of my fellow NMLers!  Check in people!  

0 Kudos
elvan

I would not want to follow YOU...just sayin'.  I DO think it is really important to do this NML connection, I looked forward to Wednesdays when I was in NML because of https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/oldbones5358-Larry_10-21-2013-blog?sr=search&searchId=375dd...‌ and moody_9-18-13‌ and jaxson1-16-14‌...it was really a lot of fun and took the tension down to a more than manageable level.  The first EXer is still here, he was the Caravan Master...the other two are not here any more but I do stay in touch with Jaxson...she quit three days before me and she is still quit.  

Ellen

Roller831

Certainly we have more NMLers out there!  The hide and seek game is over!  Come out and play!  

0 Kudos
elvan

roller831‌ You might have some problems finding someone to step up...I hope others will see that it really can be helpful and honestly, fun.  You've knocked it out of the park, my friend.

Roller831

That's ok.  I will continue to try my best to support those who want it.