cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I bet there are many

Who are so tied to their smartphones, they worry about getting on their phone again the entire flight with the same fervor of a smoker who can't smoke until they get on the ground.

ADDICTION

(I took a friend to the airport this morning.)

28 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Just last week while eating out at lunch, I noticed a group of 3 friends (in their early 20's) dining together.  They couldn't get their noses out of their phones long enough to carry on a conversation.  They would look up occasionally and say something - but it was very brief.  Just sad.........

elvan

That's funny, Dale...I have a smart phone but I just use it as a phone...I don't get on line with it, oh, I DO take photos with it but I don't do much else.  I will admit though that I have turned around and gone home to get my phone when I have realized that I forgot it when I was going to work or to the store...I take it to the store either because I am WITH my husband and I have to find him...he is a wanderer or to call and see if we need something that is not on my list but I just saw, on sale.  My kids use their phones as lap tops...they get on line, they do research.  I really get annoyed when I stop at a crosswalk and three or four students are walking across the road and all of them are on their phones and going so slowly that I miss the light.  Grrrrrr.

I get annoyed with people driving who stop and don't move. It's so obvious they are on their phone and so discourteous.

At the beach, everyone is on their phone rather than enjoying the beach.

It just blows me away.

I have a replacement phone that I could go online with and check email on the original but never set it up on this one.

I don't want to be tied to my phone.

One of the grocery chains started a new savings program where the only way you could get the savings was with a phone app. I threatened to get the attorney general  involved if they didn't make it so people could just enter a phone number at checkout and now I can.  🙂

elvan

I HATE places that want you to download their apps...for crying out loud, there are so many icons on my phone already that I have to try to FIND the ones that I want...most came pre-loaded and I can't remove them.

I've only had one a little over a year now & have left it at work or home on  lots of occasions. I've been in my car about to leave work & remember I left my phone inside & just refused to go back in for it. I love sitting on a bench at the mall watching these zombies walk by running into each other. Good times.

Keep on keepin on

M n @

YoungAtHeart

I like that description - "smartphone zombies!"

Roller831

My husband's phone rang while he was driving the other day.  He asked me to pick up the call.  I said to my husband if he remembers when phones were left at home and if someone called they would leave a message or try again.  I didn't answer the call and let it go to voicemail.  LOL!  

YoungAtHeart

I read an article that said that the designers of social media software DESIGN it specifically to addict people.  When you get a "like" or a "helpful" or a "share" or add "followers"  brains release dopamine from the recognition.  This is all about the statistics and how much ad money they can get.  The more "hits," the higher the profits.  It doesn't hurt anybody's health - oh, wait, distracted walking, distracted driving, distancing people from others?

Gee, this sounds like something ELSE, doesn't it????

Booooooooooo on it!

Bree19

My Physical therapist told me he is getting so many children (under 10 y/o) with neck issues, he can  say with almost 100% certainty he will never be without patients.   

How crazy will it be if the ubiquitous phones and other electronics and all their "must have" apps eventually cause us to go back to walking bent-over and dragging our knuckles!?

pastedImage_2.png