Sam105

Discussion created by Sam105 on Oct 19, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 by elvan

So glad to have joined the ex-community, and am so grateful for the helpful responses I received regarding my disability, and the restrictions I have when it comes to exercising. I've had seven spinal fusion surgeries due to degenerative disc disease, and am in constant chronic pain. I know that any kind of movement is a great distraction when the cravings come...which they do frequently. At the suggestion of a physical therapist, I bought one of those inflatable Swiss balls. Sounds silly, but when I'm sitting in a chair and a craving comes, I plop down on the ball and do gentle rotational routines. Anything to distract from wanting to smoke, and I'm beginning to realize that even the most intense cravings don't last more than 5 - 10 minutes. I have no problem revealing that I'm a recovering alcoholic with 22 years clean and sober, and have found that there are many similarities. After all addiction is addiction, whether it's alcohol, or the powerful drug nicotine. One day, one hour, one minute at a time. Have also found that any kind of movement takes my mind off smoking. I'm not smoke free yet, but it's a comfort to know that I'm not alone, and all of your comments have been most appreciated. Thanks.

Outcomes