cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sam105

So glad to have joined the ex-community, and am so grateful for the helpful responses I received regarding my disability, and the restrictions I have when it comes to exercising. I've had seven spinal fusion surgeries due to degenerative disc disease, and am in constant chronic pain. I know that any kind of movement is a great distraction when the cravings come...which they do frequently. At the suggestion of a physical therapist, I bought one of those inflatable Swiss balls. Sounds silly, but when I'm sitting in a chair and a craving comes, I plop down on the ball and do gentle rotational routines. Anything to distract from wanting to smoke, and I'm beginning to realize that even the most intense cravings don't last more than 5 - 10 minutes. I have no problem revealing that I'm a recovering alcoholic with 22 years clean and sober, and have found that there are many similarities. After all addiction is addiction, whether it's alcohol, or the powerful drug nicotine. One day, one hour, one minute at a time. Have also found that any kind of movement takes my mind off smoking. I'm not smoke free yet, but it's a comfort to know that I'm not alone, and all of your comments have been most appreciated. Thanks.

5 Replies
Tabbiekat

First off, congrats on your 22 yrs being clean and sober. My husband who has been smoking almost 50 yrs set his quit date for Oct 30th and just celebrated his 30yr AA b-day and is planning on using the 12 steps to help him break the nicotine addition as well. I was going to quit with him, but had to jump the gun and I quit a couple days ago ~grin~

I myself have found working out, or cleaning or yard work to be a distraction and even just coming here and reading different posts. I did find a website- growyoungfitness.com it has allowed my husband who has multiple disabilities move around a bit more and all the exercises are chair based. They have even added chair yoga to the mix that one day I hope to try out, I myself have some mobility issues and have found it useful for myself so you might give that a look if you want. Just keep nagging yourself and you will find the non-smoker within you coming out before you know it. Wishing you the best

Tabbie

0 Kudos
prjimm01

you know you can do this.  welcome!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I'm glad you are comfortable here at Ex. Sounds like you are developing a plan to quit. Agreed-- movement is good for the mind. Keep coming back! 

0 Kudos
Strudel

What a great, positive blog! You are doing this and your wonderful attitude will serve you well! Welcome to the site and congrats on your quit! You are so right about addiction - I am 36 years sober and 7 years smoke free (after smoking for 40 years!) and both require realizing never "just one"! 

Stay close and congrats again! 

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on your sobriety...your familiarity with addiction will benefit you greatly in your recovery from nicotine addiction.  I have degenerative disc disease but I cannot have spinal fusion because my bones are very thin and my spine curves and rotates so that my ribcage is not supported on one side.  I have had multiple breaks of my ribs as a result of that.  I found that during the summer when I could work out in a pool outside, I felt wonderful while I was in the water.  I can't stand working out in an indoor pool because of the chlorine.  I use a stationary bike that has a recumbent seat on it so I am leaning back and I can adjust the difficulty of the work out.  I do 7.5 miles 5 days a week.  I find that moving helps a great deal with craves AND with pain.  When I first quit, I was not able to work out because I was recovering from pneumonia and my COPD had knocked me for a loop.  I have been smoke free for 3 years and 9 months today after smoking for 47 years, except for some short term failed quits and quits for pregnancies when the smell of smoke made me vomit.  I do not regret quitting for even a minute.  My husband has been a recovering alcoholic for almost 33 years and he quit smoking almost 28 years ago.  He helped me a lot with my quit...you've GOT this, Sam.  You HAVE all of the tools you need and you have all of us.  We have all been where you are because we all had to start with a day one...the only way out is through.  I used the acronym NOPE for Not One Puff Ever over and over again at the beginning of my quit...I also came here first thing in the morning and before I went to bed and during the day when I had time or I needed to get a little boost.  We are here for you and we all want very much for you to succeed!

Ellen

0 Kudos