cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Coughing trigger?

I just realized I have a crave trigger I didn’t know about before.  Wondering if anyone else has this?

My last 3 periods of what I would consider fairly intense physical cravings, all occurred at the same time I was experiencing chest clearing/productive coughing.  Luckily, this doesn’t happen often like it did early in my quit when my chest was really congested.  It’s almost as if my lungs feel so good and clear after a nice productive cough, that I feel like I need to fill them back up with something, and the clean air just doesn’t seem like enough.  I will clear my throat, then cough, then breathe deeply into my cleared lungs.  Then I have almost a gag reflex of swallowing multiple times somehow trying to refill what feels like a huge vacuum in my chest.  And my mind keeps trying to trick me into believing that only cigarette smoke will fill that void I’m feeling.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TW517

Forgot to say, I told an ex-smoker friend about this who said he experienced the same thing.  He said he went back to his vape with very low (or no) nicotine juice from time to time to fill that "void".  I'm thinking that might have helped in the first few weeks of my quit.  But I'm over 5 months now.  I don't think that would be a good idea at all!

Sandy-9-17-17

I'm thinking that would not be a good idea to do.....Seems like it would be a tease, and could possibly

cause you to want more, even if you did a no nicotine juice!  I don't think I would survive doing this IMO!

But that's just me! 

TW517

I don't think it would work for me anyway.  The one and only time I tried to vape, I hacked so hard, I couldn't take another puff.  I don't know why I could deeply inhale a cigarette, but barely get a puff of an e-cig down.

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

That's actually funny you say that, because I was the exact same way with a vape!  I could inhale cigs like it was second nature, but when it came to using the vape, which by the way I bought to cut myself down on nicotine levels to quit smoking for good, 

I would barely be able to pull from it as it would make me hack too!  Wonder why that is!  

Oh well, no need to wonder any longer, cause I'm a chain non smoker now!  TTGL!  (Thank The Good Lord) !!!

Tabbiekat

I am on my 3rd day quit and I know the coughing trigger. Looking back I remember when after a good cough I would step out and have a smoke..go figure I could see the temptation for a vape, but even without nicotine it would just be fueling the habit and that is what I am trying to avoid/change right now. I did use a vape as a way to cut back a few years ago and think it was harsher on my throat then the smokes, but not while vaping. An hour or two after vaping I always had a sore throat and would smoke a cigarette and be fine. (got to love our bodies and mind in how they react)

Congrats on your 5+ months and save yourself and don't start vaping.

TW517

I promise I'm not going to vape!  I'd be afraid of getting back that "hand to mouth" habit.  But I know what you mean about going for a smoke right after coughing.  I've worked out regularly for 40 years.  When I would have a really rigorous aerobic session, I'd have some serious lung cleansing coughs.  I always felt so guilty for craving a cigarette so bad in the middle of a workout.

Sandy-9-17-17

I would actually ask myself why I would go smoke after coughing the way I did!  Oh the mind, and how it works! 

Brianairb2

Agreed. Vaping would be the exact wrong decision.  Let your lungs adapt to all the extra delicious oxygen.

I'm happy to be able to witness your beautiful quit.  Congratulations!!!