DonnaMarie

Trying not to cry wolf - conversations

Discussion created by DonnaMarie on Oct 13, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 by Giulia

Hello, my name is Donna and I am a nicotine/cigarette addict.

Hi Donna!

I came here today to admit my addiction and to admit I need help. 

We're here to help you, Donna!

The why of my smoking is my biggest puzzle. I wonder why all the time. I go for hours on end without smoking and then light up. Am I being selfish?

You might be. Some people think of it like that.

It's like I don't want to give up this friend who never asks anything of me other than to keep lighting up. 

Nods.

It's like it's easier to keep smoking than it is to make the commitment to quit.

Nods.

So what am I doing here? Am I quitting or not? 

That's up to you, Donna. It's your life and your quit or not quit. We're here to support you in any way. 

What is it I really want to do? Do I want to quit?

It sounds like you do, Donna.

It should be as easy as saying "I quit." 

You've already done that a few times here and it's almost like you're crying wolf. 

What's it going to take? That's what I ask myself. 

That's up to you. Ask yourself what it means to be a closet smoker and who is affected by that. 

Yeah, I'm the only one affected. 

Are you? You are making time when others aren't around to "sneak" a smoke here and there. That's time you could be spending with your loved ones, your dog, your exercise, your whatever. 

You're right about that. And my husband and I spend more time together than ever before. I should be able to give him all the time he wants and not have to run this errand, go here, do this, do that to sneak. I'm not 6 years old. But then, if I was, I wouldn't be smoking. 

Sounds like you have some serious looking within to do. Can you unscramble the why and just do it? 

I'm 12 days past my quit date and have only been smober for 2 of those days. So...

So...?

So, I need to put a plan in action. I want (?) to put a plan in action. I want to be one of you. 

We'll be here when you're ready. In the meantime, read, set a date, and just do it. 

Outcomes