cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

How the Brain Breathes

Thomas: I'm putting this here because I don't want to lose it but also because we all need hope. My hope is in Research and Development in the medical profession. They do their work and some day a cure or at least an end to the progression of COPD can be accessible to all of us. 

New Brain Research Explains the Elusive Neurons of Brain That Control Breathing

Los Angeles, CA - Oct. 6, 2017 - Breathing is the most important function of a body. On average, a person breathes at least 20,000 times a day, and it happens automatically without consciously thinking about it. A respiratory control system at the core of our brain controls a complex breathing system. Sensors in the brain send signals down to spine, muscles, and lungs to adjust to changing breathing requirements and oxygen levels. These sensors in the brain take data about the required oxygen levels from the blood vessels and accordingly adjust the breathing rhythm. Most of the part, breathing is automatic, inexplicably controlled by sensors in the brain and to a limited degree; a person can consciously control the breathing rhythm. Our body automatically adjusts to different breathing needs, such as during swimming, running, when we get angry or scared.

Breathing is essential for life, and any disturbance in the breathing system can be fatal. In a worst-case scenario, it can lead to death with sudden death syndrome (SDS). If brain sensors that detect oxygen level in the blood malfunction or stop working, a person can suffer from breathing diseases, chronic sickness, and leads to serious health consequences. People fell short of breath with Asthma or breathing is interrupted during sleep with sleep apnea disorder. According to the National Institutes of Health, a respiratory disease Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is the third leading cause of death in the United States. Diseases and conditions that impair breathing can cause respiratory failure. In a medical case, an 8-year-old Luton boy was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called Congenital Central Hypoventilation (CCHS). His body forgets to breathe when he concentrates for long periods. This rare case sheds ample light on the complexity of the mechanisms by which the brain regulates breathing. There are many things we know about the respiratory system, but there is a lot to learn on exactly how neurons in the brain signal and control our breathing system.

Twenty-five years ago, scientists discovered a network of neurons in the brainstem that controls rhythmic inhalation, called the pre-Bötzinger complex (pre-BötC). However, how exactly the pre-BötC neurons signal and generate the breathing rhythm remained elusive. It took scientists almost two decades to hypothesize that brain neurons generate two distinct signals; one is responsible for the respiratory rhythm and the other controls the pattern. Advancing these important studies, distinguished professor Jack Feldman's group at UCLA dissected the neural microcircuits that control breathing and elucidated the functional role of pre-BötC neurons

n this research, Dr. Yan Cui et al. dissected the neural microcircuits that control breathing and elucidated the functional role of the neurons in pre-BötC. The study uncovered the functionally distinct, rhythm and pattern generating pre-BötC microcircuits. The research highlights that Dbx1+ neurons in pre-BötC control the respiratory rhythm and Dbx1+ and SST+ neurons shape the output pattern. Moreover, SST+ neurons mediate pathways and these two types of neurons within pre-BötC control the whole breathing system through distinct signals. These findings are significant to understand the functional roles of the neurons inhibiting in the pre-BötC that distinctly control the rhythm and pattern of breathing. The findings provide the foundation for testable models with the potential to provide a clear understanding of breathing.

Current neural models of the circuits underlying respiratory rhythm generation are hampered by an absence of unequivocal experimental data supporting their often stipulated connectivity. Most of the anatomical studies have been limited to some areas of the brain, and functional studies based on cross-correlations have not been supported by sufficient data essential to conduct meaningful tests. This advancement in understanding the anatomical and functional data of microcircuits will open up new possibilities of constructing explicit computational models with realistic constraints on connectivity.

By deciphering the functional circuits of the brain, this study can lead to significant advancements in understanding the brain diseases that affect breathing or sleep apnea. It would help scientists to understand the mysterious breathing disorders, such as Congenital Central Hypoventilation (CCHS) or sudden death due to breathlessness. The computational models that can be designed using this data will be instrumental in understanding the cross-correlation of the segregated regions of the brain. It could be useful for researching potential new ways to save lives with a deeper understanding of how brain functions and controls breathing.

New Brain Research Explains the Elusive Neurons of Brain That Control Breathing - Press Release - Di... 

Thomas: One day, Folks, not soon enough but progress is being made! Our job is to hang in there the best we can meanwhile! Please do the things you can do (which is  alot!) while we wait for R&D to catch up with us! New treatments are becoming available every day! 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies

It's very interesting the impulses, neurons and breathing cycles. It made me stop and think about my breathing and how occasionally I will inhale more deeply. It's like my body knows it needs more air. I'd be very interested in regenerating damaged lung tissue only because it could help so many people.

How often does SDS occur?

0 Kudos

Dale, I looked into that and it's very vague. SDS has been used as an umbrella term in so many circumstances of unexplained sudden death. Some may be respiratory, others are caused by sodium and potassium inbalances, but most common are heart related. Studies reveal that people experienced early symptoms within the week before the terminal event such as chest pain at ~52% of victims, dyspnea at ~22%, syncope (fainting) at ~7% and ~19% who experienced no symptoms. It seems that "Breathing is essential for life, and any disturbance in the breathing system can be fatal. In a worst-case scenario, it can lead to death with sudden death syndrome (SDS)" refers to an undisclosed portion of SDS not all SDS certainly.

elvan

This is absolutely fascinating, I would love to hear more about it...I would also love to get them moving faster.  This is really not a great way to live although, I have to admit that I am really intrigued when I tell people about the lung volume reduction surgery and how they look very, very surprised, like they cannot believe it.  It's nice to think that my struggles may not be apparent to everyone.

0 Kudos

Would you, looking back, recommend this surgery, Ellen, for the correct candidate, of course?

0 Kudos
elvan

Absolutely...I can hear my breath sounds myself and I really do not get as short of breath as I used to...my pulmonologist thinks my symptoms at this point are related at least partially to my scoliosis and also to my RA.  That surgery was horrendous to recover from but I am certain I would have been on oxygen 24/7 without it.  I am making it...it's a struggle but I am a really strong person...really.  I remain very negative about a transplant given the fact that I did this to myself and my scoliosis would likely crush a full set of lungs and there is no guarantee that I would not reject them.  Patients with RA tend to reject most things that are put into their bodies.  The ortho surgeon who really very much wanted to do my shoulder replacements felt very concerned that I would reject the prosthesis.

I am short of breath and tired all of the time BUT it could be worse...I could have to pull an oxygen tank around behind me for the rest of my life.  It may yet happen but not today.