cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Exacerbations

Should the frequency of exacerbations determine your Treatment Plan? 

Exacerbations in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients - Medical News Bulletin 

I get about one exacerbation a Year. But my Pulse Ox often reads 97%. I work full time and don't get winded even climbing stairs or walking miles. It''s all very confusing!

On the one hand I'm on the verge of having that conversation with my Family - you know, when I'm gone....On the other hand I feel like I could go on for decades - I sure want to believe that! And honestly the Doctors don't seem to know any better than I do!

I'm using that old saying, "Plan your Life as if you'll live to be a hundred and live your Life as if today is the last day of your Life because only God knows..."

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Reply
elvan

I get winded going up stairs...going up a slight incline outdoors, I CAN'T go for my beloved walks outside anymore because I get too short of breath and my heart rate goes up over 150...likely partially related to panic.  My pulse ox is usually in the mid to high 90's but if I am feeling particularly short of breath, it is not unusual for it to drop into the 80's...sometimes LOW 80's.  When I went to my pulmonologist in August, she was THRILLED with my pulmonary function testing, she was also THRILLED with my breath sounds.  I was having a pretty good day and had been doing water workouts every day.  Now that the only way I could work out in the water would be inside, I can't deal with the chlorine.  I am so sensitive to any chemicals, even ones that others say they can hardly smell. I work out regularly and I work a job one day a week, considering the fact that I am 68 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and degenerative disc disease, I think that's pretty good.  I haven't had an exacerbation for months, knock on wood, and I just got my annual flu shot.  I eat a healthier diet than I ever have in my life.  My COPD has made me more grateful for the time I DO have, whatever that may be.  I appreciate the good things more now than I ever did when I thought I was immortal.