cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Fee33

Anyone Have Insomnia?

I have the worst Insomnia like as soon as my eyes open I can't go back to sleep at all and it takes me forever too fall asleep  at night I'm tired an dragging butt all during the day it's been like this since I stopped smoking. Anyone else have insomnia?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
bonniebee

I first would like to now if you are using the patch or any other NRT to help you to quit before i respond to your question .

0 Kudos
Fee33

No ma'am none of that I went cold turkey no nictotine products at all no gum no patch no meds Nothing I avoid coffee cokes drink water only. I never had trouble sleeping ever now I literally have insomnia it's driving my husband crazy! 

0 Kudos

Felicia there are lots of things you can do for insomnia. For example, don't take naps during the day. Go to bed the same time every night. Spend 30 minutes before bedtime in a wind down routine - no TV, smart phones or computers (yep, even us!) Keep your bedroom designated for only 2 things - sleep and sex - period! There's the obvious such as no caffeine after 2 pm. and no food 2 hours before bedtime. There are supplements such as camomile tea, cherry juice, melatonin. Then you can learn mindfulness meditation, muscle progression, and visualizations. One effective technique I discovered recently is to repeat the word the over and over again. (It's unemotional and boring like counting sheep.) Insomnia plagued my early quit days but it didn't last more than a few days. You do have a lot going on in your Life and Brain - maybe you can journal? Then let it go!

YoungAtHeart

I like all of Thomas' ideas.  I have read that lots of folks suffer insomnia early in their quits.  Rest as you can during the day.   You can get melatonin cheaply by warming a bit of milk.  If you don't like the taste, you can add a bit of sugar and vanilla to it.  I also read a bit every night to get my mind off of my daily troubles. 

This will pass - you just have to get through it!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

If you type in the word insomnia in the search field you will see so many blogs and information on insomnia.  I was fortunate that I am retired and could sleep whenever I could.  I would wake up and get busy and take naps when I could.  It is normal how long it last is an individual thing. 

0 Kudos

I get it like every other month.  I use bendryl.  It's going to take a few months to get back on schedule.  Remember your body is readjusting to a lot of things right now

0 Kudos

I had it my first month.

0 Kudos
elvan

Fee33‌ You have gotten lots of amazing suggestions above...I did not suffer from insomnia, I have insomnia some TIMES that is related to pain but I was so sick when I quit smoking that I pretty my slept all of the time when I wasn't on here.  It will pass...you really are doing great!

0 Kudos
shashort

Thomas gave you lots of great ideas. I remember having insomnia in beginning of my quit too.  It will pass. As Lori suggested benedryl helped me too. Your doing great keep stacking those days.

0 Kudos