cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

Relation between BP and quitting

Hello All, For the past 2 years i was having high blood pressure. I.e averaging around 150/90. When i quit smoking in June the pressure went up to 158/95 and i always thought that i would be better smoking. But 4 months down the line for the past 2-3 weeks my bp is around 115/70. Now i know that smoking increases BP and the fact that arteries get brittle with smoking. SO my question is why did my bp started returning to normal when i quit? Does it mean that my heart is returning to good health or is there something else happening?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide, which decreases the blood's ability to carry oxygen, in turn, forcing the heart to work harder. Quitting smoking can naturally lower blood pressure levels 5 to 10 points.  Right after you quit, your body was adjusting to life without the nicotine, so that might explain the elevation for a bit.  It took my BP three years to return to normal when I quit - but it DID!

Good news!

Nancy

elvan

Your body is adjusting to not being abused...keep up the good work.  

Ellen

Tabbiekat

My doctor has been on me for years to quit smoking. So I am taking the EX side of life at the end of the month with the help of Chantix. He told me when we had or sit down a few weeks ago that due to the stress and anxiety of quitting my BP could very well elevate for a few weeks before starting the downward journey. Everyone reacts differently and he said I will continue on my BP meds until my numbers start reading low/normal for a few weeks. He said he has had patients who are off all meds in a few weeks, others take months or even years. Depending on what kind of damage your heart is facing will determine the amount of damage that can be reversed by quitting. Just know that continuing to smoke would only make things worse. Your BP is agreeing with the quit so keep it up. Good luck on your continued journey.