cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Vietnam

Is anyone watching the Vietnam documentary on PBS?  Do you think that they could possibly put in any more footage of people lighting up cigarettes?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
meWisconsin

I've been watching it. I was there in 68 & 69 and it seemed like just about everybody smoked back then.

Terry

TW517

I think everybody did.  I can't think of a single friend or family member of mine who didn't smoke until 1980.

0 Kudos
elvan

I smoked back then, every friend I had smoked back then...not to mention some of the other drugs they put into their bodies...it was not a good time in America, not that smoking did anything to change that.  I lost friends over there, we ALL lost friends over there, people who could have potentially changed the world and then we did not welcome them back...we did not even begin to honor them until we added insult to injury.  It was yet another time in our history that we need to recognize but not be proud of.  

For those of us early in our Quit Journeys we need to stay away from video reminders of those times. Mad Men, Vietnam, any of the old reels (Johnny Carson comes to mind) it's just too much!

227 famous people who died because they smoked… | Smoke Away: Stop Smoking Resources 

I want to Live - Free!

TW517

I'm surprised it hasn't bothered me more. Earlier in my quit it was very difficult to watch old TV shows and movies with a lot of smoking scenes.  Have to agree with you, like alcohol, it's probably best to avoid for awhile. 

0 Kudos

Many people who never smoked began when they went into the service. Peer pressure. Fear pressure.

bonniebee

I am watcjhing the series but watching on Demand so I am just beginning the second episode , I am from that generation it began when I was Young I was not into the news much i was much more into my social life until i reached the age where my friends were either draft dodging or being drafted ! A child hood friend of mine ,newly married ,went to meet her husband while he was on a leave in Japan and got there to find out he never left Viet Nam  He had died in combat before she could be notified , That is when the Viet Nam  War became very real to me ! 

I never understood the How and whys of that war so i am very interested in this series ! Smoking on TV has never been a bother to me as everyone has said almost everyone smoked back then ! 

I am watching a period series ( early 60's ) on Net Flix  Call the Mid Wife  many smokers but that makes it real  great series by the way !

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

The smoking in Mad Men was off the charts.  I did start to watch the Vietnam War documentary , but it brought back too many bad memories.  My ex served in the Air Force during those days - so luckily was in the air,  but I can remember hearing the Army man in the apartment below us screaming from nightmares when he returned from there.  He was a tow-headed golf pro, sent to fight in the jungles, and I often wonder if he ever recovered. 

Glad we don't DO that anymore!

maryfreecig

No, but thanks for the heads up. 

0 Kudos