cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

afriedh1

caved

Well I am one day shy of 3 weeks smoke free & I caved!!!  I bought a pack & smoked one then threw the pack away.  So discouraging & so disappointed in myself.   Why???  I dont know!!!

12 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Only you know why.  The important thing in my mind is what you do moving forward.  Think about the "Why" and figure out in your own mind what you can do to prevent it from happening again.  I have seen several successful quitters in my 3 plus years at this site who smoked one a few weeks into their quit and never smoked another one. Put it behind you and keep moving forward.

maryfreecig

Seems you already said why: that you caved to a desire. I can understand that. There is a bigger picture to quitting that is hard to see while new to quitting and so the addiction, crave, longing to go back to what felt comfortable--can get a foot hold.

Making it through a strong desire to go back is a part of quitting. A lot of quitters go through that desire early on-- to turn around-- but every time you make it through, you are teaching yourself how to move on from the cigarettes.

I hope your blog means that you are still working toward the quit you've been wanting. 

MarilynH

Take a few deep breaths and do some more reading to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb, figure out where you went wrong so next time you can do things differently so you don't cave! You can start your new Day WON and you can and will be successful, believe it and start stacking up those precious smoke free days.

0 Kudos
afriedh1

I'm definitely still committed to not starting to smoke again. I have been able to distract myself but today I just got lazy & took the easy way out instead of fighting

Sent from my iPhone

JACKIE1-25-15

It is not a fight it is being prepared for what , and how an I going to react when the urge to smoke comes.  Have a plan and follow through with the plan.  Keep working, it is a job and a challenge you can win. Start from the beginning and learn from the mistakes it what it takes. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I will try my best to answer your question as honest as possible.  First, you are a nicotine addict.  Until you commit that no matter what is happening in your life you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke you may pick up again and again and again.  You have to take the suggested material to read seriously and educate yourself about nicotine addiction 

Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

Daniela2016

Hopefully you understood you do not need to fight the crave, you need to learn to live with it till it passes (because it does), learn deep breathing techniques (it helped me get over the craves many, many times), learn to meditate, walk away from the spot the crave surprised you, find something to occupy your hands and your mind.  One cigarette is not the end of your quit, get over it, and back in the right track!

We all know you can do it!

0 Kudos

We can only resist for so long! White knuckling doesn't work! You have to celebrate smoke free living and embrace the changes in order to make it to the other side! That's why it's so important to stay here every day! You have to fill your Brain with great thoughts while you empty it of stinkin' thinkin'! Brains can't stand to be empty! So you gotta fill the tank!

Forget the fight, fight, fight mentality! Who are you fighting except yourself! Distraction works because it gives your brain something else to think about! You can do this! It's a mind game! Don't focus on the smoking thoughts - make your own motivational thoughts to create a new lifestyle!

I could be 100% wrong but I don't think so!

0 Kudos