cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

A Wise Elder Once Told Me.

Life is ALWAYS going to happen; it's how we respond that tells the tale.  As a former addict I was accustomed to having a cigarette when something happened.  Another elder told me to tell myself. "I don't do that anymore".  Now life is happening with no smokes,  no food, no drink can fill.  So what shall I do?  "Keep on keepin on is the advise from another.   When I would be having a rough time.  I was told by one elder to get through it and I would be stronger for it.  So I give all of this advice to you in the beginning of your journey.  Listen to the elders.  I share with you because it works.  972 DOF.   I believe that no matter what NOPE works if you educate yourself about nicotine addiction, relearn your thinking and behavior because another one told me that it is "doable".   I appreciate all that they taught me and more.   Especially that there is no reason to smoke, just EXcuses.  Thank you. 

Tags (1)
9 Replies

You taught me: S.I.N.A.O!

Live4thedash taught me: never ever forget! 

Dale taught me: Life is too short - don't smoke it up!

James taught me: Be a Happy Quitter!

Tommy taught me: Focus and Determination - not willpower!

Diane Joy a.k.a. Indin Grl taught me: take what you like and leave the rest!

We each pass it on!

Thank You, Jackie, for sustaining my Quit Journey!

MarilynH

Thank you Jackie you are a very wise Elder, this site and everyone in this community is amazing and has something to share to make this journey easier to get through in the early days and wks but it sure is worth it that's for sure and I love your mantra S.I.N.A.O - Smoking Is Not An Option and I use it often because it's 100 % true.  life really does get easier and easier with time under your belt. 

Diannnnn

Still wish we had a "Love" button. You are all awesome Elders and I learn from you every day!

Thanks so much for being here and sharing your experience!

MarilynH

Here's a huge loving hug for you Dian, you are also a great help to all of us here including the elders we all benefit from each other and that's what makes this community work.

Diannnnn

Thanks for the hug Marilyn, I really appreciate it.

Daniela2016

Very nice Jackie, and touching you can give credit for every phrase or abbreviation learned here.  I can't, I just remember being overwhelmed by them, by all the advice, and thinking I will never be able to follow all that was being recommended to me.  But I did. And from my past history of working on bettering myself I try to always remember:

E + R = O

Event plus Reaction Equals Outcome

We can't change the Event, life happens, but if we want to change the Outcome we have the power to React appropriately to the event.  We can say NOPE, or I don't do that anymore, every time the temptation, environment, or phantom taste or smell are invading us!

Thank EX for teaching us that, thank you Jackie for being here, and sending on reminders of how powerful we became in face of the addiction.  We learned to say NOPE!

Posamari

"Life is ALWAYS going to happen; it's how we respond that tells the tale.  As a former addict I was accustomed to having a cigarette when something happened".

Truer words were never spoken. 

c2q

Yesterday I was walking across a restaurant parking lot, on my way with my husband to celebrate our anniversary. All of a sudden I was struck up side the head with an urge. Big time. Haven't had an urge like that in over a year. I turned and said, "I really want a cigarette." Then I put the thought away and walked on.

My best advice - Don't keep your urges trapped in your head. Let them out, and watch them drift away.

JACKIE1-25-15

Image result for thoughts drift away