cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Help please?

I'm 10 hours from bedtime and sorta have had an urge to smoke. I'm not going to. I came here instead. I'm going over in my head that I have no reason to smoke and every reason to not smoke. It's a cloying addiction. It's beyond reason. Reason says that I'm just fine. The addict in me says to have just one. I know that one is too many and 1000 are not enough, and so I won't smoke.

I'm venting, bitching, whatever you want to call it. I'm like a toddler thinking that I want this so I shall have it. I'm working on weighing the "this" of nonsmoking to exceed the weight of the smoking. 

I'm going to sew at 3. I have to work till then (I work at home). 

Thanks for listening. 

q2.jpg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You are feeling what we ALL felt - it's perfectly normal (if that helps any!)

Don't let that smoking desire sit in your head unchallenged!  Change your mind's direction.  Take slow, deep breaths; count the red/blue/white things in the room; say the alphabet backwards....take a quick, brisk walk.  Get outside for five minutes and just look at the clouds, or tree leaves and see what you can discern from the shapes.  You have to stay busy and distracted in the early days - it takes effort, but it does get easier as time passes.  You just have to work at this right now!

Hang in there!

Nancy

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I did get up and started dinner in the crock pot, got out of my seat just to move, and grabbed another bottle of water. I had planned a short trip to the store, but in the back of my head, I probably was planning to smoke, so I'm going to take a short nap instead. From what I remember from previous quits, naps were my friend. 

As an aside, when I woke up this morning, I remembered Carr's bit about having gone 8 hours without smoking and what a good thing that was. 

This is hard, but it's not impossible. In fact, it's so possible that I'm excited to keep going.

I think urges just piss me off because I don't want to give in to them. I know they'll wax and wane, but they still piss me off. 

there was a little ciggie

which sang a song of tempt

i told it to go fluff itself

and scorned it with contempt

Take that, urge!

JACKIE1-25-15

Bite on a lemon. Stick your head in the freezer.  Then SCREAM!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Do whatever you need to do to get through this - it isn't easy but it is worth it.  Here is a link with ideas to keep yourself busy.

100 Things

0 Kudos
Strudel

You did exactly the right thing by coming here! Remember our great mantra - N.O.P.E. - Not One Puff Ever! What you said reminded me of the great quote (Eric Hoffer) "You can never get enough of what you don't really need." 

Congrats on protecting your quit! 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

You've got this deep breaths and coming here to blog help was EXactly the right thing to do, yay you and yay for another DAY WON.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Good job! You thought it through. NO reason to only EXcuses. Don't fight the addict in you. You can't win. Acknowledge and ignore it. N.O.P.E is the key and will get you where you want to be.

Learn How to Quit Smoking (and Make it Stick) 

elvan

GREAT job, you came here, you blogged, you didn't smoke.  Keep it up...it will get easier, I promise.  Work your "program"...go to your quit kit and figure out what works best for you.  This is not an event and it is not a battle, it is a JOURNEY...one step at a time, baby steps count.  

You are doing a beautiful job...you are an EX smoker!

Ellen

0 Kudos

I took many drives out to the country to scream my full head off that first month.  I know what helped me was to constantly keep busy, always doing something.  I sat down and made an inventory of what was neglected around here from years and years of saying "hang on, let me just finish this smoke and I'll get to it."  Of course, you and I both know, it never got done.  I only sat there and lit up again.  It's amazing how much time we waste doing that over and over and over. I remember two months into my quit just mindlessly, in my brain fog, driving to this certain gas station where I always bought my cigarettes.  Realizing it, I came straight home.  I remember longingly looking at the cigarettes behind the counter.  Now, it simply amazes me how much they went up in price in only a year and a half.  You've got the right attitude and the right mind set.  You will notice that the urges, cravings, nervous waves get further and further apart the longer you go.    I'm cheering for ya .......

banana-split-har-dee-har-free-images-at-clker-com-vector-clip-art-8eLtA6-clipart.png

0 Kudos