cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

These were and still are my go-to bookmarks 600 days later

I still consider myself a fairly new quitter.  I only have 600 and some days, close to 2 years.  I'd like to share with you my bookmarks that I have with the most influential writings on here that I've saved that helped me along the way and still do.

Very early in my quit, trying to make sense of it all was a blog written by Giulia, A Quit Dialogue in IV Acts.  I saw myself in that little play time and time again.  Thomas also wrote something that resonated with me in understanding what exactly is going on here, /blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/06/18/how-nicotine-addiction-takes-over-and-what-to-do-about-it 

As I was progressing along and still struggling, another blog by Giulia hit home UNDERSTANDING EXCUSES.  This blog made me stop and think about what exactly was MY reasons and MY excuses.  Make me stop, drop and roll and really think about what could possibly make me do an about-turn and go back and where it was coming from. 

Then the roller coaster ride began and grabbed hold.  Storm has so many excellent readings on here, but this one particular hit home for me; /blogs/Storm_3.1.14-blog/2015/04/14/the-grief-cycle-youre-not-going-crazy .  There was sense in all this.  This gave me the why.

Then as I moved further along and really embraced my quit, a blog from Skygirl inspired me;/blogs/SkyGirl-blog/2015/09/29/you-can-quit-and-yes-i-am-talking-to-you-new-folks-who-have-just-foun... probably because I could see so much of myself lurking around in those words.

You see, we all started from where you are today.  We all felt the anxiety.  I don't think there's anyone that's thrilled to quit. If they are, they are few and far between.  I know all throughout that first six months to a year, I learned a lot about myself.  Some will say, you mean to tell me it's going to take six months !!!!  Oh, honey, it's a lifelong thing, but it gets easier.  And you know why?  Because you're replacing smoking memories and recreating them as nonsmoking memories.  You're moving about your life as you always have, but you're doing one thing differently; you're not lighting up.

Please take the time to search for things you are worried about or curious about.  Trust me, there will be a blog written about it somewhere, because I know there will be someone at some time that is feeling what you are going through.  You are not in this alone.  And it really doesn't have to be as hard as you imagine it to be.  It's only as hard as you make it to be.  Think of yourself as a snow globe.  It's time to shake it up and create new scenery for yourself......

Image result for animated snow globe

Tags (1)
9 Replies
TW517

Thanks for posting.  I've read most, and now by bookmarking your post, I've bookmarked all of them!

And a huge congrats on 600 days!!!

0 Kudos
KMC56

I'm going check those blogs...always need that shot in the arm !

0 Kudos
Giulia

There are so many amazing bogs on here that were written long ago that people would benefit by reading.  Thanks for pointing an arrow to some.  Glad a couple of mine made a mark with you.  The bookmark feature on this new platform is really a boon.  We all should use it more often!  (I could have sworn I responded to this earlier.  Weird.  This is the second or third time this has happened to me today.  Will have to pay better attention.)  The Elder's List is for that purpose too.  It helps point an arrow to those who have been quit for a year or more.  Anybody can click on the members name and just start reading their blogs from the beginning of their journeys.  A lot of valuable information and wisdom can be found among those pages.

You "only" have 600 days -  LOL!   Great blog, Lori.  

0 Kudos
virgomama

Thanks so much for posting all of those blogs and your own inspirational words.  I've read most and will repeat them often I'm sure.  Only 12 days into my forever quit.

0 Kudos

remember to always have faith in yourself.  Try not to fight it so much.  the first four to six months are a roller coaster.  Never be afraid to ask for some help from the people here or from your physician if you feel your symptoms are just too much to handle.  Also remember that smoking will never take all the "bad" feelings away and be a cure-all.  you're only thinking it is.  I've been quit now almost 3 years.  Reflecting back, I probably should have asked for a mild antidepressant to make it through that first year.  Now I'm just fine.  sure I get blue once in a while, but that's just part of life in general.  Make a mental note of when your smoking thoughts appear after you're done with the physical symptoms.  I can tell you that they are tied to some emotion or event that you ritualistically performed year after year.  It could be as simple as a season change or a holiday.  But know that you will make it through no matter what because you have committed to this quit and you want to be free from smoking.  It really isn't that hard and it's only as hard as you want it to be.  Congratulations on your decision. You are never going to regret it. 

virgomama

I will remember these words of advice,  Thanks for the warning on future triggers.  That makes a lot of sense to make note of when they occur.  I'm pretty fresh so I probably am fighting this a little.  I feel like I have to be on my guard lest I "slip".  But it is easing up. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

I was the queen of fighting quitting.  I struggled the whole way through until I hit around 195 days or so.  Looking back now, I wish I wasn't so stubborn.  It's so much easier now.  I get smoking thoughts once in a while but it's only because something in my life isn't going well, a season change, some memory pops up that I always smoked my way through.  It's nice to have other coping techniques now. I always ask myself when those times come around, what do you think a nonsmoker would handle this, someone who has never picked up a cigarette in their life and I come to my own answer and you will too.........

0 Kudos
karenjones

Thanks Lori.  600 days , wow. that is miles and miles ahead of me. Congrats.

0 Kudos

thanks, Karen.  I'll have my comma here in about a week or so.  Looking forward to 1,000 days

0 Kudos