cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML Weekly Check In – 9/13/2017

People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily. – Zig Ziglar

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Question(s): I couldn’t decide this week so I figured we could have a few questions this week! 

1.        What’s the best knock-knock joke you know?
  2.        What TV show (or movie )are you embarrassed to admit you love?
  3.        Who is your celebrity look-alike?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Note:  Much of this content was previously found in an old blog post by SarahP when I searched for NML.  I want to make sure credit is given since much of the content above is taken from that blog post.  I also understand SarahP was willing to pass the torch to someone else on the weekly NML Check In.  Instead of doing a blog, I am making this a weekly discussion.

NML List  (Please let me know if there is anyone who has been missed!  Let me know if you have graduated so we can celebrate!)

roller831

julesakaGG

TW517

Christophina

Brianairb2

constanceclum

josnyder72

Free2BU

bookee6

turtlegirl101

TurboRose

tlajbenn

Ready2021

Dani_2017 

Diannnnn

gregp136 – GRADUATED!!!

Tags (1)
26 Replies
Roller831

I saw a post by Rise_and_Grind‌ and would like to welcome you to NML!!!

0 Kudos

Thank you roller831

Jennifer-Quit

"Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"Cows go."

"Cows go who?"

TW517

1.      What’s the best knock-knock joke you know?  The only one I remember is:

Knock Knock

Who’s there?

Banana

Banana who?

repeat this 2 or 3 times, then:

Knock Knock

Who’s there?

Orange

Orange who?

Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?

1.      What TV show (or movie) are you embarrassed to admit you love?  I love all Disney movies!  Since I’m some years away from having grandchildren, I’m going to have to start renting friend's grandkids to take with me.
  2.      Who is your celebrity look-alike?  The PGA golfer Corey Pavin.

Tom (121 DOF)  Oh my! Only 9 more days!

TW517

Congrats to Ready2021 on entering the Triple Digits Club!!!

Roller831

TW517‌ used the kick knock joke my kids say all the time!  Here's mine:

"Knock knock."

"Who’s there?"

"Etch."

"Etch who?"

"Bless you."

My guilty pleasure TV show is any Real Housewives of .....(insert city here except I do not watch Dallas).

My celebrity look alike is Mindy Cohen (from the Facts of Life).

gallery_ustv-mindy-cohn.jpg

Brianairb2

Hello fellow travelers!  It's been a weird week of romantic smoking thoughts popping up and lingering.  The weather has been uncommonly sultry in San Francisco, and as much as I enjoy the warmth, it has been difficult to sleep, so I've felt a little thrown off track.  Still, I feel like I passed a threshold this past week when I attended my cousin's 40th birthday barbecue in Napa, where there was a lot of drinking and fair amount of smoking.  I made the conscious choice to not drink, in an effort to stay clear-headed to protect my quit.  I didn't feel as engaging as normal for most of the party, but I was fine in the end.  Still smoke-free, and now I know that I can remain so even in that setting (though I won't be seeking out more opportunities any time soon).

Celebrity lookalike....when I was younger, I was always told how much I resembled Patrick Swayze.  Even my dad was convinced, pulling out a magazine clipping of Patrick Swayze a few years ago when I went back to visit, showing me excitedly "Look!  It's Brian!"  It doesn't happen at all now that I have a beard, but I'll always know that even my father thought that I was Patrick Swayze's doppelganger.

elvan

What a great job you are doing connecting with all of the others in NML...I am so happy for each and every one of you...keep going and as OldBones-Larry‌ says, "One step and then another, will get you to where you want to be."

bookee6

HI just checking in everything is good.  126 days of freedom, not smelling fresh breath well sometimes.  better breathing.  hope everyone is having more good days than bad.   everyone keep up the awesome job.  hugs to all robin