cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

john-kozloski

Single Parents

Hello everyone, I'm John. I have 6yr.old twin boy's Daxter & Quinten they are the love of my life. When there around I hardly ever think about a smoke.-ok once in a while. But its time like this evening when theres no one.the addiction would love to sneak back it .So here I be wanting to make some new friends. Thanks for being there.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
carole_

This one is a good...

My son and I go Trick-or-Treating with the neighbors across the street. As we are halfway through our jaunt, the mother stops and lights up a cigarette. My son points a finger right at her and says, "Smoking! You are going to die! You need to stop that!" He's 7. At first I kind of cringed, thinking "Oh no, not exactly the best way to handle that socially son." Then, I stopped myself and thought, "Nope, he did the right thing." If I saw someone about ready to jump off a bridge, wouldn't I say something? He was just telling her the truth, and sometimes it hurts to hear the truth and often times its uncomfortable, especially if it is coming from an innocent child in a crowd of onlookers! 🙂

If I ever had a reason not to light up again, it would be to not be singled out and yelled at by my son that I'm going to die if I don't stop smoking and right now! Of course I have a lot of reasons not to smoke again, but its worth noting that humiliation by your own flesh and blood is a big deterrent! HA.

Kids, they say the darnedest things and at the same time, they speak from their hearts when they do. Precious.
0 Kudos
Sandi4

I love that story, Carole! You're right, they speak from the heart.
0 Kudos
carole_

Figured out that cigarette doesn't help because it truly doesn't. We convince ourselves of a lot of things when it comes to our addiction. Anything to justify lighting up and getting another fix.

Truth is, your son needs you, and you need you too. You need better mental health and physical health. It's a far better life on both counts not being addicted to something. One of my greatest triumphs in this final quit was that I am no longer teaching my son how to be an addict by my example. Something to chew on.

Quit Sunday night, absolutely, yes you can! Expect that you will want to smoke more between now and then, that's normal. Junkie head does not want to let go of it's constant fixes. But believe this, you don't need nicotine to function or get through anything, you never did or we would have been born with nicotine addict stamped on our heads and ready supply for every human being to survive on. Obviously, we survive just fine without it, actually we survive far, far better.

Reach out as much as possible for support, it comes back in many great ways here. Read blogs, comments, other folks pages, it will give you a lot of insight into addiction and the quit process. Go to www.whyquit.com. Great resources there too! 🙂
0 Kudos
apple

Hey Amy!!!!!
0 Kudos
anna12

0 Kudos

Hi I,m a mother of two. This is about my fith time trying to stop. Though my kids hound on me when I did smoke. My daughter would look at me and say Mommy your not suppost to be doing that. I guess a good motivater is seeing the money you spent on them go down the drain when my son goes and breakes them all. i'm kindda new at this blog thing but i guess its a good way to add support. Yes my dad is here but he really dosen't understand how hard this is. I know this month will be hard as I've started back to school and am dealing with custody issues this month.

0 Kudos
Schooleyluv

Nice to meet ya... I know exactly how you feel...hit me up if u need too talk!!

0 Kudos