cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ritabook

I thought Chantix was supposed to make cigarettes taste bad

I started 8/21/17 and it's now 9/7/17, so about 17 days in.  I had set a quit date of 9/11 but cigarettes still taste good : (. Feels like the craving has subsided somewhat as I am definitely cutting back (at about 8/day now), but I'm not sure I'll be ready to quit by 9/11.  

My dreams are mostly hysterical...not at all scary which is why I never tried Chantix before.  I'm on celexa and Xanax and feared suicidal thoughts but that has not been a problem.  I dream things like my husband bringing me a 9x13 pan full with 8 ice cream drumsticks!  LOL!! I also had an extremely vivid dream of purgatory which I had to write down so I don't forget!

My only other problem is the nausea and dull headache from the Chantix.  I tried taking Advil but that didn't help.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Chantix did not affect the taste of cigarettes for me. I think the idea is more that you don't find them as satisfying and so naturally cut back.  My instructions were to only take it for a week before I quit?  I wonder about 17 days?  I have dreams like that ALL the time, so I wouldn't worry about them (for example, I had a dream that the Nazi's were coming, so my friends and I decided to create an amusement park type place so they would come in and have fun instead of machine gunning us all down----and I remember wondering how that would feel --- for Heaven's sake!!!)  There might be a different regimen that might reduce the nausea and headaches.  I would check with your doctor.  I do know that those three things are common for Chantix users.  If you do decide to go off of it, I would recommend you try the patch rather than the other products that let the addict control the dose.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Roller831

Hi - Welcome to the group!  I took Chantix and the nausea, dreams, and dull headaches are all side effects from Chantix.  Chantix does not make cigarettes taste bad.  It fools your brain into thinking it is getting nicotine by attaching itself to the receptors in your brain.

First, Chantix partially activates sites in the brain known as nicotinic acetylcholine receptors that are affected by nicotine. This gives new ex-smokers mild nicotine-like effects and eases symptoms of nicotine withdrawl.  Second, Chantix has the unique ability to neutralize the effects of nicotine if a person smokes while using this drug.

I am going to recommend the following posts to read:  My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) and /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

And lots of reading!  

I know others will weigh in and post all of their good advice and blogs to welcome you.  Many will put links here for yo uto read.  Do it.  It is necessary to have a successful quit and possible get you ready.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

You will find support here.  Just jump right in and get started!

Ritabook

Wow!  Great resources!!  Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
elvan

The best thing you can do is to do the recommended reading.  Education and support help more than anything you can imagine...this does require commitment to the quit AND NOTHING is going to quit FOR you.  You have to do the leg work.  That means you might have to go through some uncomfortable times.  No crave every killed anyone..no one can say that about smoking.  

You CAN do this.  It is a journey, being down to eight cigarettes a day is good...soon you will be down to 5 or lower and then you are just keeping the addiction going.  It's time to let go.  Your dreams are hilarious!

0 Kudos
Giulia

You've gotten some great responses above.  Chantix hooks up with the nicotine receptors in our brains (like nicotine does) and triggers a release of dopamine - just on a lower level than smoking does.  It's that dopamine high that keeps us coming back for another cigarette when the level drops during the day.  I'm assuming on Chantix one is given a steady stream of that "high" at that lower dosage, so the need to smoke is lessened.  

Burning tobacco leaves really doesn't taste all that good.  It's the additional chemicals put in the cigarette that helps to mask the bad flavor and overlay it with something more tasty, such a cocoa (a common additive).

Education and support are your best aids in quitting.  And they're FREE!  Glad you've joined us.  Keep asking questions.  That's how we learn.  

Ice cream drum sticks.  YUM!

0 Kudos
Ritabook

Love the picture!  Those are the drumsticks of my dreams!!  

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I would stay with the drug that my body is used to Nicotine ....and do the patches ! JMHO !

0 Kudos
Barbara145

I was on Chantix many moons ago.  I was not ready to quit after a week.  I called the hotline and they told me to keep taking the Chantix. Quitting is ultimately wonderful. Do whatever it takes : )

0 Kudos
Ritabook

What a wonderful group!  I'm so glad I found ex community.... or rather ex community found me by watching my searches!  LOL!  Either way, I think this is exactly what I needed.  I had to stop the Chantix because of the side effects but I'm on the patch and I think I can do this.  The additional challenge I have is that my husband is stopping with me (or trying to) and I'm not sure he's ready.  He's been smoking continuously for 40 years.  (I smoked for 10 years, stopped for 28 years, and then picked it up again 10 years ago when I met him.)  I know I have to stop whether he does or not, but it's going to be a very tough couple of weeks.  I decided to make a crazy quilt to keep my hands busy and it's helping.  I haven't embroidered for 40 years so I'm re-learning the stitches and it is occupying my mind and hands.  Both my kids are getting married in 2018 and I'd like to have quilts (probably small ones!) made for each of them by next spring.  Thank You Thank You Thank You for your suggestions and words of encouragement!  It truly helps!!

0 Kudos