cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Kyleebabyyxx

First week of quitting!

Okay! The day has come! My nicotine patches and gum have come in the mail. I'm smoking my last smoke. When I wake up, I will be putting on my patch! I already have my gum in my purse, and I'm really in the right mentality- for now. I've been slowing down on smoking a lot, and I'm going to go to work at 10:00 AM until 2:00PM, and we can NOT have smoke breaks. I'm hoping that will help. I will be buying a package of cheap plastic spoons to put on my tongue before long, because that's also what I did to help me quit sucking my thumb out of anxiety, which is my #1 source of temptation to smoke! I'll also be investing in a sharpie, because I will be putting a tally on my patch every time I get an urge to smoke. I will also be doing a few things that friends and family have recommended- even though I doubt they'll be effective. You gotta try! I'll be making a list of things to do when I want to smoke, a list of reasons to quit, and a list of people I can call if I think it's too much. I'll also be writing letters to the people that influence my smoking the most, and I will not have any smokes at my disposal. I'll be setting aside money every paycheck that would've been put towards smoking (about $30 every two weeks, if I can afford it with the major events happening soon). I will be using this site as much as possible! Now, for the discussion! What are your most helpful and reasonable coping skills to curb your cravings? Let me know  I'm also in need of a few people to text for support, so let me know if you would like to! If that's against the rules (I'm not very strong in the memory department), ignore that part and don't let me know

Labels (1)
7 Replies
Giulia

Wow have you done your homework!!!!   Kudos on that!   I always say a strong preparation makes for a strong quit.  And you sure have a goodly amount of actions in place to help you through.  I'm sure there are some folks who would be happy to offer you text support.  I only use a cell phone occasionally and have mine turned off most of the day, so I definitely wouldn't be a good subject for that.  But I'm pretty attentive to the site on my computer.  So if you send me a personal message, I'm likely to see it within a couple of hours.  

I'm really in the right mentality- for now. "  The "for now" is an interesting qualifier.  It's obvious you're smart as whip at sixteen years old.  You're correct in saying "for now."  Because when the going gets tough our "right mentality" can change pretty quickly in wrong mentality!  lol  The object of the game is to constantly correct wrong thinking.  And what I mean by that is focus on the positives rather than the negatives.  

You say you want to set aside money every paycheck (where are you working at the age of 16?  Just curious) "if I can afford it with the major events happening soon."  If you could afford to spend money on smoking, you can afford to save the same amount of money by not smoking.  Major events happening or not.  No?  Something to think about perhaps.

Tomorrow is your first day!  Pretty exciting!  Keep blogging.  We're here for you.  And every single one of us here (I would surmise) wish we had quit at your age instead of waiting another 35 or 40 years.  This is PRIME QUIT TIME for you.  GO FOR IT.  DO IT!  BE FREE!

Kyleebabyyxx

I'm currently employed through Pizza Hut as a server. I make at least $8 an hour, more if I get good tips. The upcoming events would be a pregnancy, which I have yet to confirm if said pregnancy is actually happening as soon as I think. Aka I need another test  I am also hoping to be planning a wedding soon, depending on my parents, it will either be a legal wedding or just a spiritual gathering to put my boyfriend (or fiancé, depending on what you consider 'engaged') and I in a spirital marriage if my parents do not approve of a legal one yet.  I hope this clarified things a bit! 

In addition to this, I would also like to say that it is 6 minutes until midnight and I just finished smoking what is the FINAL tobacco product I will ever use, if this goes as planned. (Aka, if I survive )

0 Kudos
Giulia

You WILL survive!   Just stay true to that best part of you.  Clarified, yes.   I was thinking the upcoming 'perhaps' pregnancy, might be the  upcoming event you were talking about.  I hope whether parents consent or not, that your boyfriend will be a good father should you bring the consummation of your caring into life.  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Sounds like you have all the tools you will need in your toolbox - except for your commitment, perhaps.  You really do need to get it straight in your mind that you have made a decision you will not smoke again NO MATTER WHAT.  If you get grumpy, or anxious, or angry, or frustrated, or just have a strong craving to smoke - you WON'T.  A good thing to say to change your mind's direction is, "I don't DO that anymore."  Your addictive brain will try to reason with you - don't listen!   Get busy doing something,   anything to shortcut those thoughts.

Like Giulia, I am not a cell phone junkie - but I am here off and on during the day.  If you get in trouble, just post a blog with the subject line "HELP" and someone should be along shortly to talk you off the "ledge!"

This really IS a new beginning.  Stay excited about it!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Of COURSE you will survive, you have prepared, you have every possible motivation and you CAN do this.  We are here to help you in any way that we can, please reach out and let us know if you are struggling and also let us share in your victories.

Best,

Ellen

bonniebee

I am so happy you are quitting at such a young age ! You are making a great and very wise decision . I do believe having a plan really does help I had a plan , I had Ex and I had my faith  and today I have  940 days of freedom and you can have your freedom back too !

I used the patch and occasional nicotine lozenge and straws cut into thirds .  I did deep breathing religiously in the first weeks and months 3 in  and out   very slowly really s-l-o-w on the last exhale allowing my body to relax with the exhale it  really got me through many craves ! I also walked nearly every day, the exercise  kept my head in a good frame of mind and It helped keep my weight down too .  A positive attitude and a  deep commitment are a must in my humble opinion . sayings welcome we are glad you are here.jpg

elvan

Hope you can feel yourself getting stronger and stronger...already.  I am so proud of you,

Ellen

0 Kudos