cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

How do you not smoke when smoking is all you do?

For clarity: I am quitting both smoking and vaping. I mainly vape, and would "treat" myself to cigarettes every now and then. I am quitting on September 10th.

For background: I'm disabled. I'm not working or going to school right now. I'm 21. I don't have any close friends. I have a boyfriend I see once or twice a week. Otherwise, all I do is smoke and vape and browse my phone. I have clinical depression and have lost all interest in other things. I also have anxiety, which is another trigger for smoking and vaping.

So I do nothing all day... have no interest or motivation to do anything... but at the same time I want to quit because of my health and because I'm sick of being controlled by nicotine.

I'm so conflicted. My life is fat full of nothing and nicotine. But then what the heck do I do all day instead of vaping and browsing my phone? I'm thinking to start I can replace the hand to mouth habit with a different (healthy) hand to mouth habit and still browse my phone. Then slowly introduce old hobbies back into my life.

Oh, I will be using the lozenge. Can't use the patch, I'm allergic. I'm already on buproprion for depression.

4 years of freedom!
Tags (1)
33 Replies
Daniela2016

I hope for you this time will be the One!  You have all the encouragement, guidance you might need right here.

Figure out what did not work right the first time and make it better this time.

We all know you can do it, and please just come here often and learn from others' experiences.

Looking forward for your 1st Day of Freedom!

Instead of focusing on what you can't do - make a list of the things you can do! I have known a lot of "disabled" folks. and they are just like anybody else! I can't lift 200 lbs. If that's all I think about look how much I miss out on that I can do! I grew up with a "disabled" mother, known "disabled" people of all ages from lots of causes, and now am classified as disabled by the government and I can promise you that we find a way to live within our abilities! Get up, get off that couch (figuratively) and do something - anything!

Oh I know what depression/anxiety is! Been there done that more often than I can count - you can use that as a "reason" to stay stuck and think that "hand to mouth" is enough or you can challenge yourself - depression and all - to move! You have the POWER to decide! Set your Self EXpectations higher!

Take what you like and leave the rest -

to be helpful is my only goal!

Christine13

My husband is disabled, but he plays video games and uses his walker to sit in front of the stove to cook new and different recipies.  You could always learn how to crochet or knit.  Word search puzzles are great or get on Facebook and play some games there.  I think you could be handi-capable and find things to do.  I understand depression, you will feel much better about yourself once you accomplish a few things for yourself, instead of smoking.

All the best with your quit.

xo

Christophina

Ok you got buproprion for depression, so use it as a stepping stone to a better place in your life. Listen to Thomas

(I think I said that to you before 🙂 ) you can practice doing stuff to help yourself to better mental and physical health or you can practice becoming more 'disabled'.  

I remember sitting in one place all day when I was your age and smoking until the ashtray was overflowing. I wanted someone to know just how unhappy I had become. Someone else might be able to fix me.  I hadn't learned how to look after myself and I just kept piling on negative thoughts and behaviour until I was at a standstill.

ShyButterfly95‌ you are a beautiful, young, intelligent, articulate woman work out what has made you so unhappy and forgive those who have harmed you and most importantly forgive yourself. Embrace your dark side, learn to love every facet of your being, because it really is ok to be you....be your own best friend on the amazing journey of life.

God, I wish somebody had said that to me when I was your age....wait...they probably did.

maryfreecig

In my opinion, two cents worth anyway, you have two weeks to test the waters about getting re-involved in things you do like to do.

If you challenge yourself to quit as well as make another MAJOR change such as trying to improve your whole routine/outlook on life, you might feel overwhelmed--especially is you expect significant progress all at once. The brain can only follow so many directives before it crashes! It is ok to quit before you have a clear idea about your whole life. In fact for a month you could make quitting your one and only job--all other changes could be made on a test and trial basis--no pressure to obtain the kind of life you wish you had or think you want.

Change is good; but one priority first with the understanding that you will do your best to improve your whole life in an "easy does it, but do it" way. 

I have felt inertia and been somewhat despondent at times in my life--I think many of us can relate to those states of being. The solution never came  for me, I always had to take faction--many times I've done so reluctantly, moaning and crying. 

You have the power and potential to get where you want to go. Your own plan to make progress sounds like a great direction to go in. 

Thanks for blogging about a common problem (the smokes were the center of my world--and many smokers would say the same). 

End of my two cents.

I hear you, Mary! And at one time I agreed wholeheartedly. Then I did some research. That's because having COPD requires multiple lifestyle changes and every one of them is ASAP! Here's what I found....

Pursuing Multiple Lifestyle Changes Simultaneously Is Not Only Possible, It's Effective 

I could refer to lots of research but bottom line, making BIG Changes all at once one change supports another and they all come together. 

maryfreecig

You are broadening the idea here, that's not bad, but I still believe that improving ones spirit or mental health is not a lifestyle change necessarily, nor one that can be effected in do A. B. C. Some quitters are facing immediate health issues, and I can see how diving in and changing diet, exercise can go hand in hand. Changing depression, sadness, grief are not so easily addressed at the same time and therefore just working on the quit is good, and all other healthful things one can do for spirit and mind and health are of course important.

BHnCA

I'm glad I came upon this link you posted last year.  It reinforces a thought that's been rolling around in my mind lately, which is that I've spent several years consciously avoiding most things I used to enjoy, because I fear those things will be too difficult since I've got COPD.  Anybody with that ailment KNOWS what happens when you don't honor your limitations. Unfortunately, that mindset has gotten me into the habit of avoiding EVERYTHING I used to love doing - like kayaking, hiking in the high Sierra, traveling, gardening, and even cleaning/reorganizing closets and drawers so as to minimize.  The worst part is that I had begun smoking more than ever to fill my time. The cigarettes had become my only friend, source of entertainment and reward. But, duh, no wonder my life has become boring and empty!  A few days after my first quit, I started feeling a mild improvement in my breathing. I know I will never get rid of COPD, but breathing just a little bit more made me think about things I miss doing and wish I could. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks that I still CAN do such things, I just need to start DOING them.  I only need to plan on altering the level to which I do things and stop letting COPD tell me I'm doomed for nothingness. Thus I am in the process of planning a little trip over to the coast just to enjoy the surroundings, visit some art galleries, and enjoy eating out! So what if I have to walk slower or take the easy walking routes!  The effort to get all my closets cleaned out and reorganized has already begun, too. I just have to do it all in a slower manner and who cares how long it takes? Our minds are a peculiar thing ... the further my COPD progressed and the more I heard my doctor tell me what I could or shouldn't do, the more I developed a mindset of someone who is totally disabled.  Well to heck with that! I'm not dead yet and I'm not going to continue thinking as if my life is over. It's just a matter and getting in and DOING stuff. So yeah, this article really touched a nerve in me that I needed to feel. 

elvan

I am disabled, have been for many years now...I am also past retirement age but I work a couple of days a week to get out with other people and to interact with them.  I also EXERCISE.  I have a stationary bike, when I was able to, I used to walk every day, it was the most amazing thing, it lifted my spirits and made me feel like I was alive in a way that few other things can.  I do things for OTHERS...depression is something that you have to work with, you do not have to allow it to control you.  If all I did was smoke and vape and browse my phone, I would feel depressed too.  I understand that it is not that "simple" but I also understand that you CAN do things to improve your life.  You CAN make choices that will make you feel better.  Get more involved on this site, volunteer at a nursing home...elderly people would LOVE to interact with someone as young as you...go to a park and watch kids play and listen to them laugh.  Remember that you used to laugh once too.  That laughter is the best music ever!

Ellen