cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bree19

Runny Nose (Gross)

Hi all

Just read NewMe 's 2 year progress report and it's clanging bells inside my head - she mentioned a runny nose..  I've had very few of the quit smoking side effects/symptoms that everyone talks about.  Now 175 days into my quit I've developed a runny nose.  Started about 3 weeks ago, with sneezing fits (I kid you not - I counted one day) of up to 63 at a time.  Clear water just runs and I'm permanently attached to my tissue box.  Then a day like today...not one sneeze so far.  Then 3 days non-stop.  

Am I now just be special and precious or can one have a quit symptom this late in the game - well 175 days is LATE IN THE GAME for me!!  Surely I don't need to go to a doctor for clear tap water dripping out - I'm grossing myself out now.

I sometimes use Allergex when I can't handle it anymore and then sleep for way too long but try not to medicate myself too much.  

Anyone?  Anything? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Allergies If It's Clear. Perhaps nothing to do with quitting.

gregp136

I have had that before and after quitting.  It is wild, isn't it?  It seems like it will never end, and wow, the liquid out of the nose just keeps coming!  I always figured it was some weird allergies.  

YoungAtHeart

Allergies!  I used to say that the reason I never got  a cold or allergies was that the poisonous smoke reduced the number of any irritants and killed the germs!!!

You might try a nasal spray like Nasacort  or Flonase -not sure of spellings!  They will limit the allergic reactions.

I have that running nose every Spring now....wasn't this bad when I smoked ------ go figure!!!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Our bodies were doing every thing they could to overcome what we were doing to them.  Expect anything from this point on while your body works at healing the damage. I love olive leaf extract for allergies. I take the pills and I love the olive leaf nasal spray.  They both work wonders. Congrats on 175 days and carry on : )

0 Kudos
Giulia

Sounds awful.  I haven't a clue as to why.  But hope it passes sooner than later!

0 Kudos
elvan

I have that pretty much year round, some days are okay and others, I sneeze so many times that it's ridiculous.  The drainage is clear so it's just allergies.  I take EmergenC when it is really bothering me and I also irrigate my nose with salt water.  A pinch of salt in warm water in a glass...snort the water in one side while holding the other nostril closed, do the same thing on the other side.  It rinses the allergens away and then I can breathe again without sneezing.  I used to work for an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor and he sold adapters for Water Piks to irrigate sinuses without putting the tip that comes on the Water Pik too far into their nose so that they injured their sinuses.  The "trick" was to use a very, very small amount of salt...there are also salt water nasal sprays that might work although I don't find those as effective as irrigating.

Hope you feel better.

Ellen

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Hi, 

Thanks Ellen, I just visited the ENT doctor and forgot to mentioned that I stopped smoking on 7/21.

The doctor ordered a pet scan for this Wednesday.  

My next visit, I will make a note about the smoking.  

I don't use my CPAP because I am afraid bacteria will  accumulated from the sneezing.

0 Kudos
Dani_2017

Bree19‌ I experienced this too!

I'm now on day 29, so I'm behind you, but this has definitely happened/is happening to me as well. 

Sneezing fits are not as bad for me, but I've been alternating between stuffy/runny nose. 

I don't have a cold and I don't think it's allergies. 

0 Kudos
elvan

Dani_2017  Even if it's not allergies...maybe your nasal cavities are really dry...you could try the saline nasal spray and see if that helps...let's put it THIS way, it CAN'T hurt.  There is nothing in it that can cause you any HARM.

0 Kudos