cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NRT or NOT

I did a little reading about the danger of using nrt to replace cigarettes.  It made good sense but can I assume many people here have been successful with limited nrt use?  I found the reading that I did this afternoon very supportive and motivating.  I actually felt like quitting immediately.  Then I thought it best to get more education and stronger foundation for a better chance.  Tell me if that's just an excuse.  At any rate, I'm in and ready to take direction and read, read, read.  Thanks

24 Replies

great thank you crazymama

Jennifer-Quit

First of all - nothing will quit for you.  It really is about making up your mind and being willing to go thru the withdrawals.  And deciding that you will not smoke - no matter what!  It takes time. 

I used nicotine patches.  They took the edge off and helped me focus during the withdrawal period.  I used 21 mg for 3 weeks, 14 mg for 2 weeks, and 7 mg for 1 week.  I read your first blog- and this is my advise only - I would not get into the habit of using a lozenge every 2 hours.  You could actually end up getting more nicotine than when you were smoking.  How much do you smoke?  One cigarette is equal to 1 mg of nicotine - keep that in mind when choosing your nicotine replacement - and be sure to not ingest more from your NRT than from smoking.  Also have a plan to get off the NRT.  To me it was easier with the patch - just put one on each morning and step down as directed. 

Best wishes to you in your journey.  It is the best thing that I ever did for myself and I wish you success!

I used the patch as well.  I don't care for the idea of lozenge or gum.  You're still reinforcing the hand to mouth motion, plus you have no clue sometimes how much nicotine you're ingesting if you're not keeping track.  With the patch (I used the Walmart brand), you slap in on in the morning and that's it.  replace it the next morning around the same time.  They are only an aid to help you, to take the edge off.  They don't take away cravings or urges to smoke.  Only you can control that.  they just make the intensity less

Great Question, Elizabeth!

I look at it this way - 

Do you want to slowly pull the bandage off or do you want to get it over with and rip the bandage off? Same amount of discomfort!

Folks who successfully use NRTs do their homework, make the changes suggested, read and comment every day and

physically withdraw from Nicotine little by little. Smoking Cessation is 90% mental and 10% physical. NRT only helps with the physical. If you think/feel that you want to use NRTs, just be aware we're talking about the 10%. The 90% is up to you! But you are not alone with that either!

No wonder Folks who expect NRTs to Quit for them don't succeed!

I'm a rip the bandage off kind of guy! In 3 short days the vast majority of the physical withdrawal was behind me! Then I had 100% for the mental part.

Plus and this is just me - I was done giving Corporations money to get my Nicotine!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/71066-nicotine-the-nerve-poison 

To each his/her own! Just know what you're doing!

I will be 100% here to support you in your decision! I do quote whyquit.com a lot but there is Great Advice whether you use NRTs, pharmaceuticals, hypnosis or any other tools - along with your BEST Tool - your Brain!

Just one more thing I like to repeat often - ALL Quitters need to consult their Physician when they launch their Quit Journey! 

You CAN do this! 

elvan

ElizabethRachel  I don't think you can read too much or get too educated on nicotine addiction.  I don't think you are making an excuse to delay your quit.  Get as much information as you can, prepare yourself as much as you can, and THEN quit.  Nothing is going to make it "easy", at least not in my opinion...it wasn't easy for me but it wasn't as hard as it could have been without the support from the people on this site.  I did not use NRT's, I know a lot of people who did and were successful, I got sick and couldn't smoke and it was bad enough to wake me up and I never smoked again...FINALLY.  I did a whole lot of damage, I can't UNDO but I can hopefully slow down.

You are doing a great job blogging and asking for advice...keep it up and your quit will be GOLDEN!

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

NRT or no is totally up to you.  You. might finish the reading and THEN decide what is best for you.  If you  choose to use one, I recommend one where the addict doesn't control the dose such as the patch or Rx drugs.  The others are OK, too, if you use them correctly and not use one to sub for every cigarette you used to smoke.  If you use decide to use the patch, be sure you understand that the length of time suggested on the box is determined by the folks SELLING you the product, so take it with a grain of salt!

Keep reading and learning.  It will pay off in your eventual success at this!

Nancy

There is less chance of you becoming psychologically dependent using the patch.

You aren't thinking of smoking and then popping something for relief and becoming dependent on it physically and psychologically.

I bought a box of 16 patches (2 bonus patches 🙂  )

I didn't read about the dosage, just bought the strongest ones. (I was down to 5 a day so I probably could have used the weakest ones but I didn't know any better at the time.

I quit on a Tuesday. I forgot to wear it on Friday  and just tried to see how I did without it. I was okay.

The next morning I felt I needed it so I put one on.

When I forgot two days in a row the following week, I put one in my wallet and kept it there for a year with the promise I would use it rather than smoke.

Never needed it.

Listen to your body not your addict mind or rumors you've heard