cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

The World Impact of COPD

Global Burden of Disease: Asthma and COPD 

The prevalence of lung conditions worldwide has increased, despite the overall decrease in the prevalence and death rates for asthma between 1990 and 2015, according to the results of the 2015 Global Burden of Disease (GBD) Study.

Largely attributed to population growth and aging, the GBD researchers noted that the disease burden is led by asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which are both preventable and treatable and receive less attention than other non-communicable diseases.

The COPD burden continues to increase globally.

The researchers estimated deaths due to asthma and COPD by analyzing data from vital registration and verbal autopsy for the aggregate category of all chronic respiratory diseases. Disease estimates for asthma and COPD were based on systematic reviews of published papers, unpublished reports, surveys, and health service encounter data. 

In 2015, 40 million individuals died from asthma, a decrease of 26.7% from 1990. The age-standardized death rate also decreased by 58.8%. However, asthma remains the most common respiratory disease worldwide, affecting an estimated 358 million individuals in 2015. That year, 3.2 million individuals died from COPD worldwide, an increase of 11.6% from 1990. Additionally, COPD prevalence increased from 1990 to 2015 by 14.7%.

Most of the reductions found were observed in mortality rates, which reflects greater improvements in reducing fatality rather than an overall change in incidence and prevalence, the researchers found. Lower asthma mortality in high-income countries suggests improved access to health services and better treatment options. The greatest disease burden from both COPD and asthma was seen in developing countries.

The researchers determined that the absence of a relationship between asthma prevalence and asthma death rates adds evidence that most asthma deaths at all ages are preventable by treatment with low-dose corticosteroids and other management strategies, along with an avoidance of risk factors.

Higher COPD death rates and prevalence may be linked to an increase in smoking and outdoor pollution. The researchers identified preventable interventions to reduce exposures to risk factors but noted that a considerable proportion of COPD remains unexplained. Other established individual risk factors, such as a low level of physical activity, could also have contributed to the COPD burden.

Overall, the researchers concluded that up-to-date population information for these diseases is necessary for policy decision-making to improve access to and the quality of existing intervention strategies.

Reference
GBD 2015 Chronic Respiratory Disease Collaborators. Global, regional, and national depths, prevalence, disability-adjusted life years, and years lived with disability for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2017. 

doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(17)30293-X.

Did you see the part of smoking and exercise? I may have to give up the CPAP which saves lives because I make too much money for medicaid. The machine is $700/month to rent! Waiting to hear definitely!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bree19

Ooh good luck with the machine payment.  I fought for 6 months with my medical insurance.  I wasn't offered a rent/lease option.  I had to buy the thing.  Eventually my medical aid agreed to pay half of the cost.  But I have to admit, it's lasted since 2002 and only needed attention once when I dropped it on the floor in hospital with my first knee replacement.  Fixed within a day.  So I'm not complaining - just hoping you get it sorted with positive results because you cannot give it up, please?

Bree

0 Kudos
Bree19

Ain't life a #itch when you earn TOO MUCH!!!

Just kidding.

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Give up your CPAP? The thing that helps you breath at night? And let me guess, you either don't get insurance at the new job or won't be eligible for a while. That ain't right!

0 Kudos
elvan

As usual, thanks for doing the research FOR us...I appreciate all of the information...looks like there is hope that they will increase research and perhaps new treatments will come around.

I am dismayed about your CPAP, I understand that your income might be over the ridiculous level that is required to be eligible for Medicaid, however, I would think that your new job might be able to help...I would also think that Medicaid might be able to help you out until you become eligible through Comcast.  This is treatment that is improving the quality of your life...don't give up, Thomas.  Will get those prayers going for you.

Ellen

0 Kudos

Holding tight! Right now I have medicaid but I'm not sure how long it will last. Taking it one day at a time... I talked to medical equipment and they do take medicaid so for now, I'm going to keep the CPAP - just another bill (pre-medicaid) I can't afford! I'll keep you posted. I know it's literally life or death to keep the equipment.

0 Kudos
elvan

Please DO keep us posted and please do not go quietly into the night with Medicaid, they have emergency funding...you are demonstrating a serious desire to get off Medicaid (which I do not think you should HAVE to do) and onto employer insurance...which I HOPE is good.  I assume it has a waiting period, they can't block pre-existing conditions, thank God.  I will keep praying and I know that you are a formidable representative for yourself.  If anyone can research ANYTHING...I would want you in my corner.