cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Showiestodin

NML Wednesday Check In - 8/16/2017

NML Wednesday Check In - 8/16/2017

Don’t think of it as QUITTING.  Think of it as GAINING!!!

We are doing this discussion every Wednesday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in NML, basically months 2-3-4 of a quit. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

We will offer topic questions below if you find yourself at a loss for what to post.  These are for ideas.  We are happy if you just stop by to say hi and let us know you are still with us in NML.  Feel free to offer up ideas on topic question and I will include them in next week’s post!  Stop by daily or as often as you like!  Don’t forget to post to the Daily Pledge! 

Topic Questions:

What does your confidence level feel like lately?

List a few things you have learned to help you stay in this quit?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start about the time your first month ends.

The first month of a quit is emotional, exhilarating, exhausting, and many other “e” words I’m sure!  You are trying to take one moment at a time and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go. The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can knock you to your knees. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be every bit as strong as it was in your first few days.

But here’s the good news. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening!

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate)  

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  What To Expect In The First Four Months  

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club!

Note:  Much of this content was previously found in an old blog post by SarahP when I searched for NML.  I want to make sure credit is given since much of the content above is taken from that blog post.  I also understand SarahP was willing to pass the torch to someone else on the weekly NML Check In.  Instead of doing a blog, I am making this a weekly discussion.

18 Replies
Showiestodin

Good morning sunshine !!!! Let's get a good start to a good day !!! 

I'd like to start off by answering the topic questions:

1.  My confidence level is pretty shaky these days. I am thankful for having a great since of confidence. When I feel like that. I want more of that feeling. It feels great to know that you can trust yourself. So many times I lied to myself, I'll quit tomorrow, I'll quit after this one, so on and so forth. Feels great to know I have truly quit. Thinking about the uncertain times, the touch and go, I need a cigarette panic is still very much alive at times. Not as prominent as in the beginning, thank you Jesus. I have noticed vast improvement. The elders are right it gets better and easier as time goes by.

2.  Positive self talk, distraction, exercising (treadmill/weightlifting/flexibility), drinking a lot of water, practicing self control when eating, to relax/meditate and coming back to EX  read, read, read, blog, blog, blog. 

I do hope all of you have a wonderful, beautiful, glorious day today !!!

josnyder72

Good Morning and happy Wednesday. I begin my journey into NML today as I begin day 30 without a smoke / nicotine,  and so I want to take a moment to say THANK YOU!! for this blog. As always this site is so supportive and amazing. In response to the topic question regarding my confidence, I have to admit, although I am confident that I will remain an ex smoker today, my attitude is not as enthusiastic as it once was. Perhaps the "honeymoon period" is beginning to fade and the "normalcy" of life is starting to set in. I do make a point to log onto this site every morning, with my coffee, before I get my day going as a way to get myself in the right mindset to begin the day. I also take the daily pledge, EVERYDAY!!! I think that if I make myself accountable by taking someone's hand, I wouldn't want to be the one to break the chain and let them (or everyone else) down. I also continue to take my quit just one day at a time. I have learned that trying to focus on quitting forever is a daunting and overwhelming task and this site has showed me that breaking the quit into 24 hour increments is much more "do-able" I have been also been trying to increase my water intake and continue to take deep breathes and if worse comes to worse, I have my Lobelia drops close should I need a few for any uncontrollable cravings (so far I have not had to use them since about day 4ish).  It's going to be a great, smoke free day and I am nervous and excited to begin this journey into NML, but I read the blogs of those before me and know that it you can come out the other side, successfully smoke free.

Jo 30 DOF

Showiestodin

Yes it sounds like you have hit NML. Hang in there. You are doing great !!!

0 Kudos
Brianairb2

Thanks for doing the check-in this week, Cathy!  I enjoy reading about your journey to stay inspired!

What does your confidence level feel like lately?  Even though I'm cautious to avoid cockiness, my confidence level has been pretty solid lately.  I don't feel occasional creeping fear that "something" is going to happen and sabotage my quit.  I feel very protective and resolved.

I'm even stronger that I realized before starting this quit

Stress happens, and self-care is a realistic remedy.  I don't have to relinquish control to addiction or impulse.  I focus on building ritual & routine, and giving my mind a rest.

walking spryly through NML,

Brian (51 DOF)

Showiestodin

Hey Brian !!!

No problem about filling in for Rollercoaster831, she deserves a carefree vaca.

Yes it is great to feel confident that you are doing good. I don't think it is cockiness. I think it is absolutely fabulous and you have earned every bit of it.

Wow, you're feeling great, sounds good, rub off on me-I need some of that too, lol. Seriously you're right we do not have to give into temptation, addition or impulse. We can do something, anything else. Giving your mind a rest is a welcome relief.

Stay strong my friend.

Sincerely,

Cathy

Free2BU

Hi Everyone

Yup in No Mans Land and have felt the battle begin.  I have always felt super confident with my quit, but lately it has been on my mind a lot.  We tend to start negotiating with where we are, start pulling holes in it to make excuses, almost like dancing with the devil.  With all this in mind, the strongest part of me, is my confidence in making sure this time i do not slip.  

I must also add, that I am not feeling in great health at the moment and a bit tearful, due to other issues in my life.  My chest feels tight, my sinuses feel blocked and uncomfortable and I feel headachey  all the time, almost like I have never quit.  Hopefully things will improve and I keep fighting the same fight.

Regards

Caroline 

Showiestodin

Hey Caroline !!!

Good to see you. I am so sorry to hear about your health. Maybe a checkup at the doctors.?..Take care of yourself, the rest will follow. I do hope that you feel better soon. Breaking the chains of addition can cause physical sickness. Stay strong my friend. Stay close to this site for support. 

Sincerely,

Cathy

0 Kudos
Free2BU

Hey Cathy

Thanks so much, I am back up again and feeling better,  been some tough days, but am steering in the right direction.  Cathy, why does you quit date say 25 Aug!!  We were around the same time just a day ahead.

Hope you are okay my friend.

XX

0 Kudos
TW517

Hi everyone!  Great to see all of you.  And a special welcome to josnyder72 on her first day in NML.  It's a bumpy ride for a lot of us, but we won't let each other fall.

What does your confidence level feel like lately?

Even though my craves have picked back up lately, my confidence level is very high.  I feel the craves more in my head now than in my chest.  And my mind feels very foggy.  It feels like a cigarette would help clear that fogginess, but since SINAO, I've been drinking a lot of strong coffee instead.  It doesn't really help that much, but I am getting a lot of exercise with all my bathroom breaks .  So even though it's a bit depressing that craves have returned, I've tasted a bit of victory with some long calm periods.  That gives me courage to look forward.

Will list just one for now.  And that is we need each other.  I failed too many times thinking I was strong enough to do this on my own.

Tom (93 DOF)