cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DDfree

Smoking Nicotine

So, I have been 38 days without a cigarette. Also, 38 days with my NRT, Smok Alien 220 which means I still get my nicotine. I want to feel good about quitting, but have I really quit? This site encourages NRTs yet when you want to take the daily pledge, you have to take the pledge for any form of nicotine? I love this site and have managed to stay free but I really don't like the guilt that comes along with still having nicotine in my body. I haven't found any helpful or should I say comforting blogs about NRTS? Can anyone advise? TIA!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TW517

You will probably get as many opinions as there are members on this site.  I personally went cold turkey this time because I tried several times before with NRT's.  I hated the terrible withdrawals after every reduction in nicotine level, and I eventually failed at all those attempts.

TW517

By the way, Welcome to EX!!!  Glad you are here!

No matter what method you choose, I strongly believe your chances are way greater being on and participating in this site.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I assume what you describe is a vaping device?  If so - they are not really a recommended quit smoking tool.  I don't know of a sound way to reduce your intake of nicotine to get off of them.  If you are using a high dose one, you might  try to wean yourself down to a lower dose - with the eventual goal of weaning off entirely and maybe substituting a nicotine free version?

You might start by not vaping as soon as you feel like you need a fix - put it off a bit and get busy - just like we recommend with any form of self dosing NRTs.  Try not to sub a drag for every cigarette you used to smoke. 

One of the reasons I'm not particularly fond of them as a form of NRT is because you are still repeating the hand to mouth and inhale motions of cigarette  smoking and not learning to live without them.

Perhaps your next step might be the patch?  There is a program with them where you go down to a lower and lower dose so that eventually when you go off of them, the amount of nicotine reduction does not produce such dramatic nicotine withdrawal symptoms.

Whatever you decide, I am glad you are here, and hope we can help!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Barbara145

NRT's are not smoking. When you pledge use the word tobacco. Tobacco is the problem not nicotine,  Dr. Hurt from Mayo Clinic has a couple of wonderful teaching videos on this site about their use.  You are doing great.  You quit smoking.  Congratulations.  

maryfreecig

Welcome. Seems you have some doubts about vaping...as NRT.  Seems that what might matter most is --what is your  plan to quit nicotine? Is it indefinite? Is it when you feel confident? What has the 38 days of no cigarettes meant to you? Do you see the vaping as a short term thing? Or is it your final plan? 

If you feel confident in your plan, then your NRT assisted quit should be of little concern. 

As a quitter, I can't allow myself to revel in the idea of vaping as quitting. For I surely would stick a pile of cigarettes in my mouth and light them all at once just at the thought. I had to let go. But that was my experience, not yours. I quit at age 54 having started at age 17. The addiction had me, not me it.

It's all about the plan--your plan, the one that's just for you.

0 Kudos

You do what you want.

I don't know how often you vape. How much of a crutch is it?

I don't see how anyone can unlearn the hand to mouth and inhale ritual if they are still doing it.

0 Kudos
prjimm01

IMHO one is still feeding the addiction albeit in a hopefully less damaging way.  NRTs, IMHO, are meant to be temporary as a way to wind down the daily dose of nicodemon..  The patches last about a month I think so 38 days seems like a lot to me.  Make a plan to quit the NRT.  It is like you are starting your quit over almost.  Just my opinion.  Good luck and keep us posted

0 Kudos
elvan

Hello there, I did not use NRT's or any vaping device.  I do know people on this site who have had success with the patch and others, I think with Chantix and Wellbutrin either alone or together.  Neither of those are NRT's.   I think the most successful method has been with the patch, party because it controls the dose if you follow the directions...whatever you do, that is what I would recommend. follow the directions.  I would also listen to the people with NRT experience like JonesCarpeDiem‌.

Stay close to the site and know that we are here to help you in any way that we can...shout out if you need any other help.

Ellen

0 Kudos
stAn3

Because you have quit smoking, which is the goal, you now get to decide if you want to quit nicotine. Can't you step down using the e-cigs?

Some personal experience: I have relapsed multiple times recently because of putting a lot of pressure on myself to get off the NRT. I got to the point where I would rather smoke than use the lozenges because I felt like I had to break my new addiction (NRT). I don't think that is healthy. Smoking cigarettes will definitely kill me. There is no evidence that NRT will kill me or that vaping will kill you.

0 Kudos