cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Is it possible to quit cigarettes for life ?

Jump to solution

I been trying to hard to quit smoking and I feel like I'm never going to quit no matter how much I try I been smoking ever since I was 18 am 24 not 6 years on and off and just tired of the BS am ready to quit this nasty addicting drug.....so I need some serious advice .....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I'm glad you're here.  Quitting smoking s a journey and while it becomes second nature after awhile, in the beginning it would help for you to look at it as quitting a day at a time.   We are addicts, and will always be addicts and while it becomes easier and easier not to smoke as time goes on, we must remain ever vigilant.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
0 Kudos

It absolutely is possible to Quit Smoking for LIFE! Not like a sentence but like a gift I give to myself every single Day! 

That's how you do the long term: one Day at a time - in my case 2704 days in a row! 

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2016/08/26/change-your-mind-change-your-life?sr=search&searchId=7ad5afb9...

Stop thinking you are giving something up! It's not about sacrifice, discipline, deprivation....It's about reclaiming yourself - the You that is not addicted to Nicotine and living minute by minute driven by their addiction! FREEDOM!

What helped me get through-to is having a road map, knowledge about what Nicotine Addiction is and isn't, and connection with Folks who "get it!" You've already been given all 3 in this Blog!

What will you do with your gift? That is your Decision! 

Decision happens in a different part of the Brain than thoughts - even compelling thoughts! There is the opening we need to Succeed! Make the decision, honor the decision no matter what and when you give it the time it takes (@ 4 Months) it gets more and more comfortable and thus, doable!

Does 4 Months sound like a long time? How many Years did you smoke? Also, there are changes along the way that make the challenges different (I think of video game levels.) The first 2-3 days you get through the physical withdrawal. The next 2 Months you reclaim your neuroreceptors of the Brain, then 2 more Months of regulating your Mind, your Thoughts, your Feelings, your New Normal! 2 sets of seasons of facing different types of triggers, and then simply maintaining your Quit Journey. Each level becomes easier in some ways and more challenging in others.

What you can't do is take it all in at once!

Just take that first bite and chew! Just for Today!

JACKIE1-25-15

It can be done if you are willing to go through the challenge and believe that you can. 

Thank you so much everybody I definitely need it that ......   I have been trying to quit smoking for so many months and it just never worked out but I think this is the last time .......

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

It's possible to become a former smoker, a quitter, one who used to smoke but doesn't anymore. Support is key for some quitters. It is for me. Maybe it is for you too.

Going it alone means having to figure out a quit all on one's own and only with one's own mind to work through the ups and downs of quitting. It can be done, but with support from quitters you have the benefit of community.

0 Kudos
Strudel

You have come to the right place! Be sure to check out the Carr book Nancy mentioned. It is certainly possible to quit for life! You can do this! 

gregp136

Some people quit smoking for Life.  Some people quit smoking for price.  Others quit smoking for convenience.  Still others quit smoking due to the the nasty smell.  Why you quit is up to you!!!!!